Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work is Changing :from (Copper to Fiber)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spliced some fiber in about 95-96 and it didn’t look anything like that.
    Little machine inside a camper like trailer melted the glass together.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Amazing stuff right there and something to be very proud of to have the skills to do.

Phoenman, how long you been at it?
      Almost 21 years

Comment

I know how you feel...…………….
        I felt the same way, when we went from film,
        to one inch tape...……
        Editing, was completely re-learned.....

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I spliced some fiber in about 95-96 and it didn’t look anything like that.
          Little machine inside a camper like trailer melted the glass together.

Yep the early days of fiber splicing 95+ looks nothing like the way we do it now.

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
            44 years! Is he going to take the vsp + $50,000?
            My buddy got laid off last year from At&t. His coworkers are being offered the VSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              My buddy got laid off last year from At&t. His coworkers are being offered the VSP.
              Ouch!

Fiber is great, but it’s not great if you’re a repairman. Not nearly as many are needed anymore. The old “phoneman” is a dying career. I’m just trying to hang on as long as I can. The CEO and others near the top are leaving. I wish I had a 1/5th of what they are taking out the door with them.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Ouch!

Fiber is great, but it’s not great if you’re a repairman. Not nearly as many are needed anymore. The old “phoneman” is a dying career. I’m just trying to hang on as long as I can. The CEO and others near the top are leaving. I wish I had a 1/5th of what they are taking out the door with them.
                Are butt sets still used?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                  Occasionally.....mainly for digital lockout. Verifying That a modem is on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    as an underground contractor....sure was a lot cheaper to cut copper lines[emoji4]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                    amen!!!

Comment

My wife sells fiber. We are very rural and she said within 3 years all copper in our area will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                        He's hoping they offer it to him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                        Tell him to contact the union hall. I know some guys that were not offered but have since been given the offer after calling about it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
                          Tell him to contact the union hall. I know some guys that were not offered but have since been given the offer after calling about it.
                          I talked with my mom, she said they are offering it first to the outside guys, then they will get to the inside guys.
                          He works out of one of those big bunker buildings that has all of those clacky switches going off non/stop (or do they not use those anymore, been years since I last was at his office).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                            Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                            Occasionally.....mainly for digital lockout. Verifying That a modem is on the line.

This ^^^^^ 95% of the time. Occasionally we have the 80 year old that still has a landline because they’ve had it for decades. Will still use the butt set to troubleshoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              You don’t need a telephone number and dial tone to get internet service. The internet will run on what’s called a “dry loop.” Internet only.
                              I guess its just a charge our Co-Op chooses to charge. All my neighbors that are on copper pay for a phone line whether they use it on not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                                I guess its just a charge our Co-Op chooses to charge. All my neighbors that are on copper pay for a phone line whether they use it on not.

https://mycmtech.com/about-us/
                                That could be the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X