Bandsaw question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandsaw question...

I run a vintage 14” bandsaw (can’t find name anywhere on machine). It’s got a pretty standard looking upper wheel slide in tension housing but the cast piece broke at the tension screw so I need to remove it and replace.

My question is should it just slide out? I’ve tried to feel by hand but it doesn’t budge at all and I’m about ready to take the hammer to it to knock it up. Suggestions are welcomed!
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 02-22-2018, 08:27 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Man that’s a killer! I hate down equipment. Wish I could be of help

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        Man that’s a killer! I hate down equipment. Wish I could be of help

Sierracharlie out…
        Thanks man. I’ve wedged a couple pieces of steel between the tension swing so it’s in working shape for now....until it’s not. Just want to repair it before it puts me behind

Comment

Mine has a stop so it can't slide out. Hard to tell in your pic. Put something under the end of the jack screw and use the screw to try to jack it up and out.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
            Mine has a stop so it can't slide out. Hard to tell in your pic. Put something under the end of the jack screw and use the screw to try to jack it up and out.
            No stop on this one and have it a pry try with the screw driver. Still no give

Comment

If you do get it out and can't find the part then get some one that really knows how to braze and have them braze it. If it's done right then it shouldn't be a problem any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                If you do get it out and can't find the part then get some one that really knows how to braze and have them braze it. If it's done right then it shouldn't be a problem any more.
                I broke the motor plate in half on an old Craftsman table saw and a buddy at Delta was able to stick weld the cast iron and it’s help up for 16 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  I broke the motor plate in half on an old Craftsman table saw and a buddy at Delta was able to stick weld the cast iron and it’s help up for 16 years.
                  My only problem is it’s the actual threaded entry for the tilt screw. I’ve figured out how to pull the front plate and thing I’ll try that then if I can get to it from both sides I might get a little more leverage to bust it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    He would braze it today. Cast iron rods run about $85 a pound now and most places only sell in 10# amounts. At least it's that way around here. I used to weld several pressure pumps for the well guys around here every year. I braze them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                      My only problem is it’s the actual threaded entry for the tilt screw. I’ve figured out how to pull the front plate and thing I’ll try that then if I can get to it from both sides I might get a little more leverage to bust it out.
                      The threaded part won't be a problem if brazed. You will be able to chase the threads with a tap and it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X