Cost of rural water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of rural water

So I just recently received the opportunity to get rural water at my property, but the price seems a little crazy. The quote I received was $6000 to get the line to my gate, plus $2500 for the meter, and sign a contract for a monthly plan that has a $32 monthly minimum. After all of that, I'll still have to get water to my cabin site about 150 yards away. Is this crazy or is this normal?

I currently don't have, or have access to an utilities. I'd be curious what y'all would do in this situation

About par for my area..... why I drilled a well 17 years ago

Comment

X2 Drill a well

Comment

If you plan on watering a yard or any kind of livestock the well will pay for itself at those prices fairly quick. Back then I drilled 500’ for around $5k probably closer to $10-12k now.... but your already in $8500+... and at the mercy of their price increases

Comment

I wish I could have a well drilled. I was quoted 25k for 450' so ill remain on rainwater for the time being.

Comment

Landowner payed the initial cost. Now pay 76.00 a month. Use it or not! 4 years now.

Comment

I was lucky when I bought my place as the line was already down the county road. I had to pay the meter fee which I believe was about $200, 15 years ago. The monthly fee is now $35 and I rarely exceed that, even with living there 3/4's of the time.

Comment

Meters run around 1,500-1,800 around here unless a road bore has to be made then it’s 2,500-2,800. As for the 6,000 to run it to your place it depends on how far they have to go and what the ground conditions are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't drill a well. Called a well driller. He said nearest well was 2 miles away, and 1600' deep...natural gas. He said he could drill me a 300-400 foot hole, but it'd just be an expensive fence post hole.

Comment

I could do rain water. Just trying to decide if the price is worth it from those with experience.

Comment

We had a 33.00 minimum a month for water.

Comment

That is about what I was quoted to bring water to my cabin. My real estate agent did tell me I would increase the value of my land by $300 per acre if I did it, which I am not sure it would be that much.

I have a 1500 gallon water tank and I have water delivered a couple times a year for $100 a load. So far that is the best decision for me. If i decide to keep my land long term, I would look at adding in the rural water.

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                          I could do rain water. Just trying to decide if the price is worth it from those with experience.
                          I currently have 2 2500 gal water tanks the cost around $1k each, but I started with just one.
                          I'm catching off of 1side on a singlewide trailer and a 18 x 20 metal carport for a total of 840 sq. ft of surface area.
                          using plastic gutters and 4 inch pvc drain pipe I catch about 75% of the water that falls on it. my family goes out with me 6 days out of every 3 weeks and haven't had any issues with using too much water.

I have plans on a wrap around porch and a 30x90 metal roof over the whole thing and a 8 tank battery to store it all.

Comment

That, and the fact that the water supply outfit was having a lot fo contamination problems, is why I drilled a well. I have excellent water now.

Comment

Drill...…....

Comment

Working...
                              X