I can't shoot 6" groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't shoot 6" groups

When I practice and almost decided to hunt with my old compound.
    But at the lease I took a practice shot right after day break on a cactus at 15 yds and missed by a fraction. Then after I got out of the stand I decided to shoot cactus for the 300 yds back to camp and I was hit or barely missed by an inch or less everything I shot at at several distances.
    I think when I practice I think way to much instead of just draw,point, and release

The same here Kirby. I always shoot better in the field.

Comment

Take Ricky Welch's advice and don't practice groups - practice the way you hunt - one shot at a different distance each time or at least from or at a different spot. Groups are fine for warm up but you don't hunt that way so don't practice that way. If space is really limited use a 5 spot target so at least you don't shoot at the same thing every time - your mind quickly gets bored by groups and stops concentrating.

Comment

As stated in the 3-10-5-20 shooting tutorial, pick out the speck in the center, the center is always the center, be it a beach ball or a BB.

Comment

^^^;-)

Comment

Someone told me a couple of years ago that you always barely miss. If you are shooting at a barn, you will barely miss. If you are shooting at an ant, you will barely miss. Make your targets as small as possible. I have shot at hogs several times with my trad bow and I always barely miss. I never have shot at a spot on the hair of a hog.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              The same here Kirby. I always shoot better in the field.
              I'm glad i'm not the only one. I was getting frusterated.
              Heck i like shooting at stuff a lot better than shooting at a bag anyway.

Comment

What is this? 3-10-5-20 shooting tutorial

Googled and only found this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post

Comment

Aim small, miss small! The key is to concentrate on one tinny spot and hold that concentration even after the shot!

If you are not hitting when you are practicing, it could be that you are mentally tired and can't focus on one spot.

Comment

Do you want to have a shooting style that lends itself to hunting or target? If you want to shoot groups then a compound arrow launcher is the way to go. If you wanted to shoot groups with a rifle, would you use a shotgun?

The real "zen" to shooting a bow is in the field, just roving and shooting we get relaxed and fluid. Focus on one shot, the one at hand.

Can you make a shot without thought? Just focused on being fluid and smooth. Most people revert to a casual, fluid style when in the woods stump shooting. And guess what, most do the same when they shoot a game animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                        Aim small, miss small! The key is to concentrate on one tinny spot and hold that concentration even after the shot!
                        If you are not hitting when you are practicing, it could be that you are mentally tired and can't focus on one spot.
                        I think this has something to do with it. When stump shooting i noticed i'd focus on the spot untill the arrow passed through the cactus or bush.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post

Comment

Being focused on that one shot, for that one scenario, best way to practice for bowhunting. Arrow after arrow at a bag not as beneficial.

Comment

Agree with Mark. The middle is always the middle. Focus.

Comment

Working...
                              X