First day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day

After working my behind off for a couple weeks, i bit the bullet and got Lasik before getting down to business practicing with my recurve.
    Now that the eye guards are gone, i can can practice with decent results.

Went down to Bowzone and got some arrows made up to the specs listed on the spine calculator (thanks to DRT's help). They shot well on the range with zero tail whip and my groupings were better than expected. I get home and got my first dose of the bad side of this addiction. On the last shot of my first round, i skip an arrow off the top the target and it snapped on the fence. Bummer, now im down to 5 new arrows.
    But i did end the session with a decent grouping at 15 yards. Hopefully some pork will fall before deer season

On a side note, i started getting some tail whip a few shots in. Is this just from bad form or release? It does not do this every shot. I had a 8 mph cross wind, but they shot straight most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It hurts to tear up those expensive things. But you'll lose plenty to pigs in the long run. Nice shooting.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Good shooting!! Fishtailing could be a lot of things. A couple things to watch are your brace height and release. My recurve isn't bad about it, but if my brace height goes down on my longbow even a little the arrows fishtail BAD. Sometimes a not so great release will make them fishtail on any bow.

Comment

Beautiful bow and arrows... Good group!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          Good shooting!! Fishtailing could be a lot of things. A couple things to watch are your brace height and release. My recurve isn't bad about it, but if my brace height goes down on my longbow even a little the arrows fishtail BAD. Sometimes a not so great release will make them fishtail on any bow.

It wasn't fishtailing at all when i was at the bow shop. But i did notice the serving is getting worn a little. The knock snaps on it good, but it easily slides on the string. I have only one brass knock above the arrow and i shoot three under.
          I just think its my release. Not as crisp as it should be

Comment

I pulled out the Fatal Styk on Friday. Strung it up and checked the brace height. It was at 7 1/2". That is a little low but I went ahead and shot. Twenty five or so shots later I look at the brace height and it looks like I have the long bow out instead of a recurve. I go into the shop and measure it and it is 6 1/4". That is when I realized that I had used the new string instead of one that was settled in. It can happen really quick. Keep an eye on that along with the several other things you are trying to figure out. A string that isn't settled in is not a good thing while tuning arrows. I don't know what the condition of your string is, but I figured that I would mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              I pulled out the Fatal Styk on Friday. Strung it up and checked the brace height. It was at 7 1/2". That is a little low but I went ahead and shot. Twenty five or so shots later I look at the brace height and it looks like I have the long bow out instead of a recurve. I go into the shop and measure it and it is 6 1/4". That is when I realized that I had used the new string instead of one that was settled in. It can happen really quick. Keep an eye on that along with the several other things you are trying to figure out. A string that isn't settled in is not a good thing while tuning arrows. I don't know what the condition of your string is, but I figured that I would mention it.

Yes sir, i have been keeping an eye on it. Its a used bow and a custom string that is good and has been used a bit. Im sure it will start to stretch a bit before too much longer

Comment

Tying an extra nocking point below the arrow solves a bunch of erratic arrow flight. That way you know your arrow isn't sliding down the string a little upon release and bouncing off the shelf.

Comment

My black eagle nocs are too loose for my liking as well.

Comment

Congratulations on your Lasik as well. I don't think you will regret that at all. Money well spent in my opinion.

Comment

Looks like i found a system that works for me. I played around with my anchor and the way i release and it seems to be working.
                      Still shooting 3 under but switched to instinctual vs using the tip of the arrow. Just focus on my target and let my brain/hands do the rest.

My grouping from Sunday using the tip for aiming, 15 yards

Then Today also at 15 yards instinctual.
                      This method seems to get a better release and flight. Maybe i was overthinking it before? I think i'll give the FSC a shot tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Both groups are pretty nice. It takes a while to get it all figured out. I'm thinking two, maybe three centuries.

Comment

Im far from figured out, but headed in a better direction

Comment

With my luck, it was probably a fluke, lol.

Comment

You'll have off days. And days when you feel like it's in sync. Just keep shooting. These guys on here can help you a bunch. Especially when it does take a bit of a slide.

Comment

Working...
                              X