Hastert: convicted of stealing money but not sex crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hastert: convicted of stealing money but not sex crimes

What kind of nonsense laws/stipulations do we have on our books?
    You can be prosecuted for a ham sandwich you stole 50 years ago but are let off the hook for kids you sexually abused 20 years ago.

If Ted Cruz can fix these laws I'll contribute the maximum to his campaign and switch gears.

Hopefully he will get what he deserves in prison.

Comment

I was under the impression that any sexual crimes against children had no statute of limitations...

Comment

Let's hope he's not too old to be a wide receiver.
        Sorry. I thought this was a football thread.

Comment

Apparently there is a statute of limitation on crimes of that type, which happened in the 1960's and 70's. The only thing they could get him on was violating banking laws - "structuring" - withdrawing large amounts of cash in a way that it would not be reported. He was using the cash to pay blackmail - over $3 million - to one of the people he molested. all those years ago. At least he will do some time in prison and will die in disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
            I was under the impression that any sexual crimes against children had no statute of limitations...
            It depends on the state.

When I was in detectives investigating child victim crimes the statute of limitations on Aggravated Sexual Assault on a Child was until their 28th birthday. It was basically a 10 year limitation that didn't start until the victim's 18th birthday. It has since changed to no limitation. Laws from state to state can vary quite a bit.

As far as not charging him with assault, they found out about it years later. There is likely little or no evidence and even if there was, you most likely would need a cooperating witness.

Bank accounts are easy to prove. Having sex with someone three decades ago, not so much. I think Al Capone went away for income tax evasion and not murder. Sometimes you take what you can get.

It is easy pointing fingers when a person is not involved in the case and has no idea of evidence or witnesses available.

Comment

Wow........and he was third in line for the Whitehouse! Trash in every political party.......TERM LIMITS please!!!!

Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on Wednesday was sentenced to 15 months in prison and ordered to pay $250,000 in a hush money case that revealed he was being accused of sexually abusing young boys as a teacher in IL. The victim, identified only as "Individual A" in the court papers, was a 14-year-old on Hastert's wrestling team when Hastert was a teacher and wrestling coach at Yorkville High school in IL.

Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert has arrived at a federal courthouse in Chicago for his sentencing in a hush-money case centered on sex-abuse allegations.

Hastert was the longest-serving Republican speaker and was second in the line of succession to the United States presidency. It means that for years Dennis Hastert worked with and politically supported the brother of one of his victims.

Comment

15 months...

had it been you or me they would have thrown us under a bus and drove over us a couple times.

Comment

Working...
                X