Rain, rain, go away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain, rain, go away!

My old huntin' buddy, Jesse, flew in from Tulsa to join me on a wekend hunt at our lease just SE of Pleasanton. After loading up with gear and supplies, we were finally on the road at 2:30 pm Friday afternoon. The drive down was slow, with mist and periods of heavier rain. Most of my hunting setups are tripods or tree stands, which are not very comforting in a windy, 45* rain. Deciding to sit in a popup Cheeze had put up near a rifle blind, I grabbed my bow and some hand corn and headed out. Jesse decided to observe from the tower blind, so he followed me in, climbing up as I hand corned the lanes. I was sitting in wait at 4:15 pm, with a feeder about 100 yards away scheduled to throw at 4:30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popup at meat locker 12-11-09 tbh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24790279

The fedder spun quite a bit of air as the corn had run dry a few days before. The rain was coming down lightly and Jesse texted me about a deer he saw 75 yards to the left, moving away from our area. 5 minutes later, that same deer, a long horned spike, crossed right in front of me, 10 yards beyond the corn. He appeared to be on a mission. The texting continued for the next hour as Jesse would see deer I had no clue were around. I then looked out my right window. There at 15 yards were two doe, gazing intently, hoping to see something move inside the shoot through mesh. I grabbed my bow. Noticing another doe out the front window, I readied for the draw. The older doe scurried off, though the bigger of the three moved into my front window lane, joing the smaller at the corn. My phone vibrated I had another text though I had come to full draw, waiting for that close side leg to step forward. The smaller doe turned her head to see a big ol' boar wallowing down at the feeder as the deer in my peep stepped. My home made lighted nock disappeared and reappeared in an instant as the doe bucked, jumped, and ran forward and to my left.

Name:	Pass thru 12-11-09 tbh.JPG
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	24790280

I checked my text. "Pig" Jesse had sent me, not seeing the deer I had been watching. He noticed them and started taking pics with his DSLR, all while I drew and shot. We will have to check what he got later. The rain continued, so after 10 minutes I crawled out to check the arrow and look for blood. Light was beginning to fade as the blood trail was quickly being diminshed. With flashlight in hand and Jesse going back to get his from the truck, I followed the most obvious path through cactus and mesquite, finding the blood trail, and eventually the deer. She had only made it about 45 yards before crashing with the double lung shot. The Slick Trick had once again done an outstanding job. The next step was now skinning, cleaning and quatering in the cold down pour. I was soaked and numb, but it was well worth it! My first deer of the season.

Todd

Name:	Doe Down 12-11-09_edited tbh.JPG
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	24790281

Congrats on the jerky!

Comment

Congrats on filling the freezer

Comment

Boo-yah!!! I am liking it!!

Comment

Meats meat, and man's gotta eat! Congrats.

Comment

i bet those luminocs come in handy......i have never used one but i wanna try em out

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice shot. Congrats.

Comment

looks like it was all well worth it. Good shot.

Comment

nice work!
                    congrats on a doe with a bow!

Comment

congrats on the doe

Comment

Thank you all for the accolades! The cold rain made it a tough hunt, but the tenderloin I grilled last night had the sweet taste of success with a hint of mesquite.

Originally posted by codpopper View Post
                        i bet those luminocs come in handy......i have never used one but i wanna try em out

Watching that nock sail through the intended target really gets your heart beating! Search the D-I-Y section on how to make your own, or PM me and I'll give you the instructions. Simple, easy, and cheap!

Todd

Comment

Nice Doe...

Comment

Congrats on the doe and nice write up.

Comment

Update: Pictures added!

Jesse is back in Tulsa. He just emailed me the pics of his view from the hunt.
                              He really enjoyed this trip, as did I, and can't wait to get out in the field up in
                              Oklahoma. Some of these pics are blurry, due to the low light conditions, but
                              they tell a pretty good story. So, without further adieu:

The Setup

Name:	The setup.JPG
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	23910319

First small doe in my shooting lane

Name:	1st deer in.JPG
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	23910320

She seems relaxed

Name:	relaxed.JPG
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	23910321

Here comes my quarry from behind that tree

Name:	Here she comes.JPG
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	23910322

Just after the shot with my lighted nock

Name:	Seconds after.JPG
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	23910323

She ran into the woods on the left

Name:	She ran this way.JPG
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	23910324

Again, what a great hunt this was. This setup is funny, in that I would not
                              normally set a popup here, right under the rifle blind. It worked out very
                              nicely in harvesting this doe, however, so my props to Cheeze and his dad
                              for setting it up and letting me sit.

Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X