Speed kills, or does it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed kills, or does it???

As I already do not have enough tid bit hobbies. My lease buddy has taken on the trad sport. Bill aka boh347 has killed in his first yr a hog and a DEER. He says he will no longer pick up his 1200 dollar compound bow. I am now kicking it around as to trying it out.

You Tube is my friend IF, IF, IF I do decide to give it a shot with trad I am going pretty cheap, Samick Sage. Yeah I know it isn't a Bear, BW etc. I can not justify going all out on a first trad bow and for whatever reason I may not think it was for me. Hope that makes sense.

Watching one guy shoot a Sage set at 55 lbs and shooting about 175 feet per second??? Kinetic Energy has to be a trad guys friend. So yeah I have been absorbing a bunch of stuff from YT on trad shooting and hunting.

I will let you know how I progress. More importantly I will be asking a bunch of questions for help in here as well................

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3

Welcome! Yeah the speed-thing takes some getting used to - a change of mindset. I remember back in my wheel bow days I was at a friend’s annual backyard preseason shoot - about 15 guys most of whom were high tech speed freaks. Then a guy showed up with a longbow. I couldn’t believe how heavy his arrows were and how slow they flew - like he was lobbing telephone poles in comparison. I will admit it bothered me a bit when I first switched to trad because I had been conditioned to think speed was everything. It didn’t take long to be dissuaded of that notion. My fastest bow is around 180fps

Comment

Get your bow.
      A Sage will deliver an arrow as well as many of the the top of the line customs.

Get your arrows.
      Get their weight to be around 9 to 10 grains per pound of whatever draw weight you get, and make sure you get them shooting good.

Don't worry about the speed.
      Just learn to shoot it. Once you do, it'll work.

Rick

Comment

When you get a chance watch this film below. Very very knowledgeable film. Specially if your self taught kinda like us.
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs&sns=em"]The Push - A Traditional Archery Film - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I'm going say I disagree somewhat with the general attitude on speed many on here have. I want to shoot the fastest most efficient arrow I can. Not because it gets there faster. But because I want as flat a trajectory as possible.

Rick is right about the Sage. What it lacks in aesthetics and feel won't matter to the dead animal.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            I'm going say I disagree somewhat with the general attitude on speed many on here have. I want to shoot the fastest most efficient arrow I can. Not because it gets there faster. But because I want as flat a trajectory as possible.

Rick is right about the Sage. What it lacks in aesthetics and feel won't matter to the dead animal.

Very true, I was telling crookedarrow I wanted to go up on weight next season to get flatter trajectory.
            That’s the biggest adjustment for me coming from a compound is lobbing those arrows. I’m mean LOBBING

Comment

A fast bow is nice but it doesn't mean squat if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

Comment

True but a heavy arrow doesn't mean squat if you can't hit with it either.

Comment

If I was only shooting 3D I would build my arrows considerably lighter - at the minimum GPP recommended by the bowyer - and less FOC. I’m sure I would pick up quite a bit of speed and trajectory would be flatter. Since I am primarily a hunter and just shoot 3D occasionally I will continue to lob telephone poles

Comment

Speed doesn't kill, technically speaking. What kills is a broadhead running far enough through the vitals of an animal. Kinetic energy has been promoted for years, but by the physics of it, momentum is what matters. How hard is it to stop the arrow? Well, more mass at lower velocity is still harder to slow to a stop than a light arrow flying a bit quicker. Since speed is always limited with a traditional bow, we are always looking for a compromise between trajectory and momentum. There's all sorts of technical discussion out on the net for you to get lost in, but the bottom line is that slow, but heavy arrows, with razor sharp broadheads, will kill. It's as simple as that!

Get the Sage! Maybe swap out the string. Definitely put some moleskin in the string grooves on the limb tips to quiet it down. Add some wool puff string silencers, and start shooting! It's one wild ride, and the rabbit hole goes DEEP!

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                      As I already do not have enough tid bit hobbies. My lease buddy has taken on the trad sport. Bill aka boh347 has killed in his first yr a hog and a DEER. He says he will no longer pick up his 1200 dollar compound bow. I am now kicking it around as to trying it out.

You Tube is my friend IF, IF, IF I do decide to give it a shot with trad I am going pretty cheap, Samick Sage. Yeah I know it isn't a Bear, BW etc. I can not justify going all out on a first trad bow and for whatever reason I may not think it was for me. Hope that makes sense.

Watching one guy shoot a Sage set at 55 lbs and shooting about 175 feet per second??? Kinetic Energy has to be a trad guys friend. So yeah I have been absorbing a bunch of stuff from YT on trad shooting and hunting.

I will let you know how I progress. More importantly I will be asking a bunch of questions for help in here as well................

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
                      Not kinetic energy but momentum.

Comment

I'd put dome mole skin in the limb pockets as well. It really helped quiet mine.

Comment

The fastest most efficient arrow you can shoot does not always equate to the most shootable bow for you. A really fast bow is often finicky, intolerant of an improperly placed hand on the grip, or a less than perfect release or a little torque. Sure I try to minimize these problems, but in a hunting situation I may be shooting from awkward positions, my fingers may be a little stiff from the cold so I want a forgiving bow, even if the arrow speed is a little slower.

Speed is nice, but not at the expense of shootability.

Comment

Going with 9 - 10 grains per pound of draw weight will keep the speed up some, but will tame the bow, thus making it more pleasurable to shoot, and shorten the learning curve.

For most (including me), that's a darn good hunting weight arrow also.

Once you get a good handle on the tuning & shooting, then you can go up/down in arrow weight to suit your preference.

It is a combination of both kinetic energy & momentum, that does the trick for penetration. You can get to heavy, and you can get to lite. I like happy mediums, and right around 9.5 gpp is where I have found that happy medium to be for me.

Rick

Comment

Heavier arrows are slower. Slower is more controllable for me. Slower is also quieter. I don’t care as long as it goes where I want and has the momentum to push it through the vitals. Slower arrows are more forgiving to form and torque. Not all huntin situations are as perfect as back yard practice. You have your nerves, odd shooting positions, steep angles, and just stuff in the way. I want the most forgiving set up possible. And there’s my two cents on the speed stuff. Bare in mind though, I shoot instinctive so trajectory does not matter to me. I just need to shoot what I practice with.

Comment

Working...
                              X