Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
    how much yall paying for chicken crap?
    i was just quoted $54 a ton delivered and spread
    and the guy was telling me they spread 2000lbs per acre

I'd be interested myself. Nobody around me will deliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Elgato-

How are these rains affecting your place? are you flooded out? I hope you and your family and farm is all okay.

Comment

We pay about $895 per truck load with the trucks ranging so they say from 20-23 tons depending on moisture. The trick is being able to spread it . As shown earlier we use a lime cart [ don't tell our provider ] though I understand we can get a litter spreader for $100 per load. I'm going to try that next yr as our current method has a lot of waste.

Thanks for your concern about the rain. Never seen such a wet August. Fortunately, so far, we are not experiencing any flooding though we are at 9" and still raining. Our son bailed out of Baton Rouge and came home avoiding the floods. I do have numerous friends having tragic experiences down south. tough deal.

Comment

Looking great Rusty! Hope the floods continue to stay away from your place.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

As always thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              What rate are you using per acre? we used a lime cart with acceptable results but calibration was rudimentary . I think next yr. I'm going to pay the $100 fee per load to get an appropriate cart. I think we were putting about 200lbs/acre if memory serves.
              I know Im putting it out too heavy but Im putting these two loads on 10 acres of food plot. The guy has a truck that spreads it when he brings it out. basically 4,000lbs to the acre. I wont put any on them next year though and they will do better next year than this. Thats what we are trying to do, rotate every other year and hammer them hard.

We did about 3acres of a 50 acre coastal meadow last year also because it has some natural rye in it in winter. A few days ago, I was sitting and watching the field. Every deer that came in crossed the field and fed where we put the litter last year.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                I know Im putting it out too heavy but Im putting these two loads on 10 acres of food plot. The guy has a truck that spreads it when he brings it out. basically 4,000lbs to the acre. I wont put any on them next year though and they will do better next year than this. Thats what we are trying to do, rotate every other year and hammer them hard.

We did about 3acres of a 50 acre coastal meadow last year also because it has some natural rye in it in winter. A few days ago, I was sitting and watching the field. Every deer that came in crossed the field and fed where we put the litter last year.
                If I remember correctly, that is the rate that I have heard to put on hayfields (2 tons/acre).

Comment

I put 200 lbs an acre above. Wrong. We were shooting for 9-10 acres per load . In the future I will do it the same or heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I put 200 lbs an acre above. Wrong. We were shooting for 9-10 acres per load . In the future I will do it the same or heavier.
                    I dont think you can go wrong. I will turn mine under but its not a requirement. Its like time release as it decays. Im not so sure a little growth hormone doesnt end up in the grass either.

Comment

Ha! Now, once again, u have me thinking, How am I going to get that CS to my food plots and spread. And when, lol food plots are 1 to 1.5 acres with 15 acres total. Food plots are in spring and summer food plots now except for the clover, its yr round and about 5 acres total of clovers. Will CS help clovers? Clovers produce nitrogen and I thought CS was nitrogen, Mostly? So I am guessing one might add the CS at time of planting the fall food plots? And how large is that appropriate cart? Can it be pulled and spread by tractor? Elgato, you make me want to follow in footsteps

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                        Ha! Now, once again, u have me thinking, How am I going to get that CS to my food plots and spread. And when, lol food plots are 1 to 1.5 acres with 15 acres total. Food plots are in spring and summer food plots now except for the clover, its yr round and about 5 acres total of clovers. Will CS help clovers? Clovers produce nitrogen and I thought CS was nitrogen, Mostly? So I am guessing one might add the CS at time of planting the fall food plots? And how large is that appropriate cart? Can it be pulled and spread by tractor? Elgato, you make me want to follow in footsteps
                        If you have chicken houses around your area, you may be able to find someone with a spreader truck to come do it for you depending how accessible your plots are.

Comment

This sounds too easy. We have an egg farm across the street from our place. How much CS should I spread on a 1 acre food plot?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                            This sounds too easy. We have an egg farm across the street from our place. How much CS should I spread on a 1 acre food plot?
                            Anywhere from a ton to two tons. Put two and you wont need any next year.

Now for the question on Clover. the best clover i have ever grown was the second year after chicken litter. It was great the first year too.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Anywhere from a ton to two tons. Put two and you wont need any next year.

Now for the question on Clover. the best clover i have ever grown was the second year after chicken litter. It was great the first year too.
                              Should I spread it before planting?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                                Should I spread it before planting?
                                Yes. If you go heavy, its a good idea to turn it in a little as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X