Official: San Angelo State Park Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official: San Angelo State Park Thread

Since there has been so much overflow of SASP questions and comments in the TBR thread, we saw the need for it to have its own. It seems theres quite a few folks out there that hunt here anyway. For those that don't heres the place to ask before ya come out.

SASP requires an APH permit of $50 which can be purchased at the SASP on Mercedes Ave at the park HQ where ya have to register anyway. Permits are NOT sold at the park entrances. HQ phone number is 325 949 4757 Pat is the guy that is the hunting co-ordinator. Hes a nice guy and has alot of info on all the units so give him a call as well.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Coup de GrĂ¢ce View Post
      thanks
      You re welcome. Come on out and enjoy. Lots of really nice helpful people in this town.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
        Since there has been so much overflow of SASP questions and comments in the TBR thread, we saw the need for it to have its own. It seems theres quite a few folks out there that hunt here anyway. For those that don't heres the place to ask before ya come out.

SASP requires an APH permit of $50 which can be purchased at the SASP on Mercedes Ave at the park HQ where ya have to register anyway. Permits are NOT sold at the park entrances. HQ phone number is 325 949 4757 Pat is the guy that is the hunting co-ordinator. Hes a nice guy and has alot of info on all the units so give him a call as well.
        NOTE: APH permits ARE sold at the SOUTH SHORE ENTRANCE now, sorry for any confusion. I havent been over there for awhile.

While I was there buying my permit they got a call from a guy hunting in AREA 5 wanting them help him drag his deer out. They DO NOT DO THAT...unless its a DRAW HUNT because you are then using their tags.

Comment

The Permits for public lands can be purchased any where they sale hinting licenses. Some refer to the permit as "Type 2". I usually buy mine when with my licenses at the local Wal-Mart, man that's great place to get stuff.

But as SAB mentioned you are required to register with HQ's before hunt there.

Someone mentioned to me last year that a game warden would help with deer extraction. I don't know their numbers. SAB may be source for these numbers?

I had to get one out last year and it is quite a workout without help, if it weren't for some good friends to help me it would have taken a couple of days to pack him out.

Comment

Originally posted by stonesmokey View Post
            The Permits for public lands can be purchased any where they sale hinting licenses. Some refer to the permit as "Type 2". I usually buy mine when with my licenses at the local Wal-Mart, man that's great place to get stuff.

But as SAB mentioned you are required to register with HQ's before hunt there.

Someone mentioned to me last year that a game warden would help with deer extraction. I don't know their numbers. SAB may be source for these numbers?

I had to get one out last year and it is quite a workout without help, if it weren't for some good friends to help me it would have taken a couple of days to pack him out.
            I have both Jason and Cindy's number if anyone needs them. Dont know if theyll help gettin' a deer out or not but its worth a try I kow the park people wont...I was there when a call came in and theyysaid ONLY on draw hunts.

Stoney, went out yesterday scouting and found some nice stuff in a not so popular unit and saw 4 deer. Found just the right spot until the Longhorns showed up You know of any units that DONT have cattle out there?

Comment

Cattle

I don't know where the cattle are this year. I understand that there is one guy, don't know his name right off, that has grazing rights to all units. I doubt he has any cattle on the smaller units but being a cattleman, he could have them anywhere there's grass. They are the official state longhorn heard and I don't expect them to be moved.

They are aggrevating but had a fellow tell me there was a nice eight point that ran with the cattle last year cause the cattle are good at finding food.

put a few rocks in your pocket on your way to hunt. Don't pour small piles of corn out, broadcast it. Helps keep from attracting the cows to you and if they do come in they get discouraged at picking up bits and will move on. hopefully!

Comment

I don't know where the cattle are this year. I understand that there is one guy, don't know his name right off, that has grazing rights to all units. I doubt he has any cattle on the smaller units but being a cattleman, he could have them anywhere there's grass. They are the official state longhorn heard and I don't expect them to be moved.

They are aggrevating but had a fellow tell me there was a nice eight point that ran with the cattle last year cause the cattle are good at finding food.

put a few rocks in your pocket on your way to hunt. Don't pour small piles of corn out, broadcast it. Helps keep from attracting the cows to you and if they do come in they get discouraged at picking up bits and will move on. hopefully!

Found me a spot in a smaller unit. Saw deer right off at 3:30pm much nicer out there than I expected and water holding in creek bottoms everywhere. i'M SOLD No more TBR for me. Its worth the $50 permit.

You coming out this weekend? Would like to hunt Saturday with ya if ya are. hoping my new bows in by then

Comment

was it a nice deer

Comment

All does I've seen where Im at so far, but I found a couple rubs on both sides of a creek crossing yesterday.

Comment

General Census

Has anyone taken an animal from the state park this year?

Doe, Buck (how big), turkey, or hogs?

Comment

I heard a guy call the park office while I was getting my permit and he shot one in umit 5. Most guys seem to hunt the 2 bigger areas of unit 1 and unit 6/7. Unit 1 I think in 600 acres or so and unit 6/7 is over 1300 acres combined. They are only split by the concho river that runs between them.

Comment

Has anyone taken an animal from the state park this year?

Doe, Buck (how big), turkey, or hogs?

Stoney

I just noticed that was you that asked. Call me for more details bud.

Comment

Will be down from thanksgiving through the end of the weekend.

Comment

Texasduck is coming down at same time. Maybe 3 of us can get it together somewhere out there. We are starting to see some rub lines and a few more deer during daylight. Its been cool down in the 40's at night a few days lately

Comment

Working...
                              X