Pork Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Jerky

Anybody ever make jerky out of wild pork backstrap? How did it turn out?

in

Comment

personally, I'm not wasting any backstrap on jerky. The meat is to tender to dehydrate and make "tough". I use the front or hind 1/4's. Freeze meat slightly which makes it easier to slice thin

Comment

Best I have ever had!

I freeze for 15-20 days. Thaw and slice! Black pepper, salt and dehydrate at 160° for 8 hours.
        Attached Files

Comment

I've made some and it came out great. Not too tough either. I'd say give it a try, you be the judge!

Comment

It is awesome.

Comment

I have tossed pigs every time until this year. Can't believe I have been missing out. Stinky boar I don't care. I will at least grab the backstraps!

Comment

Not to derail the thread, but do you have to cook it to 160 so its done or can you cold smoke and let hang like venison?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  Best I have ever had!

I freeze for 15-20 days. Thaw and slice! Black pepper, salt and dehydrate at 160° for 8 hours.
                  Gonna have to try it

Comment

I have made jerky by grinding the meat first and then using one of the jerky guns to make strips, then dehydrated for 8 to ten hours. I've done it with venison to keep it from being so tough, and it worked well. I'm going to try it with hog...

Comment

I’m wanting to mix some pork with all the ducks we’ve shot this year and make some jerky. I’ve used high mountain seasoning with good success in the past so I plan to go that route are the end of the season.

Comment

Do yourselves a favor and get some jerky seasoning from Cajun Blake. I haven’t tried it on pork but have done venison and beef. Really good and simple. Getting a new dehydrator tomorrow, will be drying meat on Tuesday with Ragin Blaze.

Comment

Blakes seasoning is great. Never thought about pork but got a couple of hindquarters in the freezer from a couple of sows. Think I will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
                            Do yourselves a favor and get some jerky seasoning from Cajun Blake. I haven’t tried it on pork but have done venison and beef. Really good and simple. Getting a new dehydrator tomorrow, will be drying meat on Tuesday with Ragin Blaze.
                            I need some jerky seasoning, Blake! I don't see it on your website though. I need some Ragin Blaze too. How do I order the jerky seasoning along with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              I need some jerky seasoning, Blake! I don't see it on your website though. I need some Ragin Blaze too. How do I order the jerky seasoning along with it?
                              Send him a pm I just ordered some.

Comment

Working...
                              X