Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: cass/hunt county
Default Who makes their own bacon?

I know its probably just a fad thing, but there is a lot of buzz going around about the cancer causing effects of nitrates in cured meat like bacon, ham, and lots of different raw smoked sausages like we all love. I was doing some reading today about making your own bacon the old fassion way without using pink salt or tender quick. It seemed that it would be very simple but just take some time and fridge space for a week or so. Do you folks have any experience making a more natural bacon? From what i could tell you combine salt, sugar and molasses as the cure and omit the pink salt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
CoachS
Four Point

I know some people that do it and I believe they cold smoke theirs with hickory.
CoachS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I make my own bacon . I use the pink cure . Itís only like a teaspoon per 5 lbs.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I never have but I would like to
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’haven’t bought bacon in years. It’s extremely simple. Salt, sugar, flavor if you want it, time in the fridge, smoke to temp, slice. Simple. Not going to say it’s anything mind blowing, just tastes like normal bacon unless you have some flavor in it you prefer. Its slightly cheaper than buying bacon (yes I’ve priced it all the way out) and I enjoy making it.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Iíhavenít bought bacon in years. Itís extremely simple. Salt, sugar, flavor if you want it, time in the fridge, smoke to temp, slice. Simple. Not going to say itís anything mind blowing, just tastes like normal bacon unless you have some flavor in it you prefer. Its slightly cheaper than buying bacon (yes Iíve priced it all the way out) and I enjoy making it.
So you smoke it till it's done or almost done at 165? As mentioned above, I have read you can cold smoke it and then it will cook on the stove after it's sliced. Does cooking it during the smoking process have something to do with you not using the pink cure?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Leemo
Ten Point

Brown sugar and kosher salt, that’s it
Pork belly’s are $2.99 at HEB, makes the best bacon
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
buckfan50
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County
Default Bacon

This was our first attempt last week. Sat 11 days in the fridge with the cure/seasoning and smoked with pecan to 150F IT. Very happy with the flavor!
Attached Images

buckfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Yeah I bring it up to temp in the smoker to improve the shelf life. I actually cold smoke it for about 4 hours or so and then hot smoke for another 2 hours, I like lots of smoke on my bacon for the flavor. Keep the temp low and don’t render the fat, stopping right at 165. Even if a little of the fat starts rendering, it’s not a big deal. Obviously when you fry it up on the stove, it’ll be cooked. You don’t have to hot smoke or use pink salt. The kosher salt and time in the fridge is what cures it. Just be sanitary about it, fry it all the way through and you’ll be fine. I don’t have anything against pink salt, helps with the color and botulism. I think nitrates are unjustly getting a bad rap.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Brown sugar and kosher salt, thatís it
Pork bellyís are $2.99 at HEB, makes the best bacon
I canít ever find em at my H-E-B here in San Antonio, gotta go to Costco for em.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
I canít ever find em at my H-E-B here in San Antonio, gotta go to Costco for em.

Heb here will order them for me. I normally get mine from a Mexican meat market or a brooks hire brothers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
dpg481
Ten Point

I found that costco has pork belly for 2.99lb. I just bought one 10lb slab to start out with. I cut the slab in half and made two batches of cure consisting of 1/2 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and a good helping of course pepper. Coated the meat all around real well and stuffed each slab into a 2 gallon bag. From what I have seen there is no defined time period for cure time. Most people leave it in the fridge for about a week where they flip it over once a day to let the cure work in best. The best i can tell is when the meat stops expelling its liquids firms up its ready to come out and get ready for the smoker. Here are some pics of the process I took, its been pretty easy so far. I also ordered a couple meat hangers off amazon I can use to hang these in my cold smoker. Yall wish me luck.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #13
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
I found that costco has pork belly for 2.99lb. I just bought one 10lb slab to start out with. I cut the slab in half and made two batches of cure consisting of 1/2 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and a good helping of course pepper. Coated the meat all around real well and stuffed each slab into a 2 gallon bag. From what I have seen there is no defined time period for cure time. Most people leave it in the fridge for about a week where they flip it over once a day to let the cure work in best. The best i can tell is when the meat stops expelling its liquids firms up its ready to come out and get ready for the smoker. Here are some pics of the process I took, its been pretty easy so far. I also ordered a couple meat hangers off amazon I can use to hang these in my cold smoker. Yall wish me luck.

Tagged for the finished product
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

I use pink salt in a wet cure. I have 2 curing right now to go on the smoker on Thursday.

For those in the Austin area, H-mart always stocks pork belly (and sells pork fat by the pound for adding into sausage)
howabouttheiris is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
mastercraftka
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I know its probably just a fad thing, but there is a lot of buzz going around about the cancer causing effects of nitrates in cured meat like bacon, ham, and lots of different raw smoked sausages like we all love. I was doing some reading today about making your own bacon the old fassion way without using pink salt or tender quick. It seemed that it would be very simple but just take some time and fridge space for a week or so. Do you folks have any experience making a more natural bacon? From what i could tell you combine salt, sugar and molasses as the cure and omit the pink salt.

I made my first this winter. I did use pink cure. I would like to do it without but you need to be prepared to have it sit for twice as long. The Pink cure speeds up the curing process. So yes you can do it without pink cure but be prepared to babysit it for more than a month.

As for those that smoke it up to 165 not sure why you cook it then freeze it and then fry it but to each his own. How does that make it better? I only cold smoke mine just like I do my fresh sausage, dried sausage and summer sausage.

Anyway I used a dry cure it is very easy to get it over salty, gotta cure it for a few days take out rinse it and sample a piece.

Good luck there are lots of different ways to cure it btw the way.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Tagged
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #17
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
I made my first this winter. I did use pink cure. I would like to do it without but you need to be prepared to have it sit for twice as long. The Pink cure speeds up the curing process. So yes you can do it without pink cure but be prepared to babysit it for more than a month.

As for those that smoke it up to 165 not sure why you cook it then freeze it and then fry it but to each his own. How does that make it better? I only cold smoke mine just like I do my fresh sausage, dried sausage and summer sausage.

Anyway I used a dry cure it is very easy to get it over salty, gotta cure it for a few days take out rinse it and sample a piece.

Good luck there are lots of different ways to cure it btw the way.
Thank you for the info. Im with you on the smoking it till its cooked. I think that would come in play if you were smoking the bacon on a warm day, where in that case I would use the pink cure or tender quick. I plan on cold smoking mine on a cool day where I wont be worried about bacteria growth.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #18
BuckRage
Ten Point

dry brine here. It can be done without the cure. Won't have the good color to it and won't keep as long. I do it few times a year and give away some.

p.s. I never ever cook it... doesn't make sense to me either. Only cold smoke then slice and freeze.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuckRage; 02-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRage View Post
dry brine here. It can be done without the cure. Won't have the good color to it and won't keep as long. I do it few times a year and give away some.

p.s. I never ever cook it... doesn't make sense to me either. Only cold smoke then slice and freeze.
You sir are living right!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #20
1claire
Four Point

Hunt In: Chattahoochie-Oconee National Forest

That bacon strip looks good, I haven't done it but will love to learn how to make it.
1claire is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

Got my mouth watering
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #22
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

No way I could get into making bacon. My Cholesterol would be thru the roof.

Hoggslayer
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #23
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I am going to try it. Costco pretty close to me. Last time I was there I saw the pork belly 2.99# What I am afraid of is I will like so much better than store bought I maybe making bacon forever.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
I am going to try it. Costco pretty close to me. Last time I was there I saw the pork belly 2.99# What I am afraid of is I will like so much better than store bought I maybe making bacon forever.
It was 2.99 last weekend there and has been for the last year or so since i first started buying it for making smoked pork belly burnt ends.
On another note, its day three and the slabs are firming up nicely and have completely changed colors to an nice looking mahogany. Someone posted here it could take a month for the process to finish, but from what i have found on recipies guys are doing this same cure for 4 to 7 10 days depending on jow much liquid continues to come out of the meat. I did drain the bag juice today and it was substantial. I will update yall when i think the slabs are ready.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #25
BuckRage
Ten Point

curing process does not take a month... most people will stop at 7 days which is the minimum I would do it. I normally go 14-17 days. Never drain off the liquid... thats where all the curing comes from. Only drain when your ready to start processing.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #26
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
curing process does not take a month... most people will stop at 7 days which is the minimum I would do it. I normally go 14-17 days. Never drain off the liquid... thats where all the curing comes from. Only drain when your ready to start processing.
Well the liquid is down the drain already. The old timers didnt have zipper bags and just left the meat with salt on it and the liquid dripped away. Im still in, but thanknyou for the contribution and help brother.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #27
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

I do about twice a year. Which reminds me I need to go to Costco and get a couple pork bellies. Iím way low. I used TenderQuick and then add flavorings when I am ready to smoke. Usually just coarse grind black pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #28
sp-bow
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Interesting. I'm got to try this.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #29
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Quote:
It was 2.99 last weekend there and has been for the last year or so since i first started buying it for making smoked pork belly burnt ends.
On another note, its day three and the slabs are firming up nicely and have completely changed colors to an nice looking mahogany. Someone posted here it could take a month for the process to finish, but from what i have found on recipies guys are doing this same cure for 4 to 7 10 days depending on jow much liquid continues to come out of the meat. I did drain the bag juice today and it was substantial. I will update yall when i think the slabs are ready.

Looking good! I donít drain it. I have a theory those juices have a lot of salt in it and helps with the curing and flavor when I make different flavored bacons. Iíve never let mine go longer then 9 days, not saying you canít, just never saw a need for it. Definitely have never needed to go a month lol.

The discussion on hot smoking got me thinking; I really donít know why I started to hot smoke it. Most likely because thatís the way I was taught. So I opened up my book on charcuterie and the author here recommends a hot smoke on bacon. I also like to eat it without frying it sometimes. So taking it to temp before freezing allows me to do that.

Name:  F502026A-B7FC-4A11-B7C7-89A084941D14.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #30
dpg481
Ten Point

That is a bible for the meat loving man for sure. I love that cover.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #31
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

I've done several large batches with and without cure. I prefer dry brine with cure #1, 1/2 cup sugar and salt per 5# of meat. Rinse after 7 days in the bag, flipping every day. I have a strong preference for cold smoked bacon, but if we don't have cold enough weather I smoke to 140' and let it rest overnight. Buying a good slicer made all the difference in the world. Yes, you will become a bacon snob and store bought bacon just won't ring your bell the same any more.

ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #32
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap94 View Post
I think it is too expensive. You can buy a high quality bacon in any grocery store, there is no need to do it at home!
They why hunt or fish or even get you butt out of bed. We do these things because we like too. Take care.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #33
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

The hogs I get never have enough fat on their bellies for this.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #34
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

probably not the best thread to be reading through when the thoughts of lunch are starting to creep into my mind
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #35
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Its very very simple.
I get pork bellies at Costco or Sams.
Kosher salt, Course ground pepper, Brown sugar, and some Maple syrup (real stuff, not the walmart crap).
No cure salt in mine...ever. This is the whole reason I make my own.
In the fridge for 7-9 days. Flip once a day.
Smoke it.
Slice it.
Fry it in a old cast iron skillet and enjoy.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #36
dpg481
Ten Point

Well after 7 days in the fridge it was all I could stand. Pulled the slabs out and gave them a good rinse. I am going to let them sit in the fridge tonight the its time to fire up the cold smoker tomorrow evening.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #37
BuckRage
Ten Point

you'll need to soak them in ice water or it will be salty.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
you'll need to soak them in ice water or it will be salty.
Ok i will let them soak today, how long should i let them sit an soak? Thanks again brother.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #39
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Or you can just buy uncured bacon.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #40
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Or you can just buy uncured bacon.
Yea probably way cheaper and you dont have to lift a finger

Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #41
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

We use pink cure as well. Doesn't take much. Easy way to make it the way you want it.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #42
dpg481
Ten Point

So after well into a week to cure and a few more days in the fridge to dry it out its time to cold smoke. I looked at the forecast and it looks like today is the coolest day of the weekend so its time to roll smoke.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #43
BuckRage
Ten Point

ya forgot to add the pepper layer... Looking good though!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #44
BuckRage
Ten Point

btw..... what you buy in the store is a lot of water weight. You end up with a piece of bacon 1/3 the size you started cooking with. This home made bacon you will have very little shrinkage... maybe 10%. Because of that it needs to be cooked a little lower heat and a little longer too. You can't compare store bought if you've had home cured.

p.s. someone asked how long to soak in ice bath. I used to soak and every 30 minutes cut a piece to fry up and taste. Now I just let it soak for an hour and it comes out to my liking.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #45
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
btw..... what you buy in the store is a lot of water weight. You end up with a piece of bacon 1/3 the size you started cooking with. This home made bacon you will have very little shrinkage... maybe 10%. Because of that it needs to be cooked a little lower heat and a little longer too. You can't compare store bought if you've had home cured.

p.s. someone asked how long to soak in ice bath. I used to soak and every 30 minutes cut a piece to fry up and taste. Now I just let it soak for an hour and it comes out to my liking.
My wife and kids are cool.without the pepper so i left that step out. Im pretty sure I let the meat set in the ice bath for just over an hour. Im just going to smoke it untill im ready to go to bed around 10 or 11 tonight.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #46
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

This thread got me hungry so I bought a belly at Sams and have it curing now...day 3. Its getting firm and plenty of liquid. I used salt, course pepper, brown sugar, cayenne and a little bit of honey....

First time I've ever made it so I hope it turns out!!! I'll cold smoke it when its done curing, slice and freeze....

Appreciate all the help!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #47
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I bought a pork belly from Costco. The adventure begins. I cut it in 3rds, added cure #1, salt, sugar to each then black pepper in one, cajun seasoning in one, and sweet and smokey rub in the other. headed to the fridge for 14 days turning and messaging each day. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
dpg481
Ten Point

Its on the griddle and smelling great. Im ready for a morning bacn sandwich.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #49
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I've made it twice and it turned out pretty dang good. It's a long process but worth it.

As far as nitrates, don't worry about 'em, you get WAY more nitrates eating green veggies than from bacon. Plus they've never been shown to cause problems in in vivo studies! Eat away!
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #50
dpg481
Ten Point

I ended up slicing all of the bacon by hand on this run. My Hobart slicer has seemed to have grown legs and is now gone from my dad's storage building. I was looking at some of the less expensive slicers, but the tray is not long enough to put the bacon slab on it. I ended up with about 75 thick cut slices and a sore hand.