Sliding gate vs Swing gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding gate vs Swing gate

Gonna put a gate at the end of the driveway- i always was just going to put a Apollo arm and controler on our swing gate but the boss has other ideas. She likes the double swing and she really likes the sliding gates. Question is does anyone have experience with the sliding gates and how do they hold up and install? Gotta try to make her happy as if I just add an arm I will always hear about it when we leave or come in the drive together.

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Gonna put a gate at the end of the driveway- i always was just going to put a Apollo arm and controler on our swing gate but the boss has other ideas. She likes the double swing and she really likes the sliding gates. Question is does anyone have experience with the sliding gates and how do they hold up and install? Gotta try to make her happy as if I just add an arm I will always hear about it when we leave or come in the drive together.
    Sliding gates look great but the ground needs to really level and you need space. I must had a swing gate installed, but i had space restrictions. Either way, i'm sure it will look nice. It has added a nice touch to our house

Comment

I have had both. Slider is the most maintaence free.

Comment

Originally posted by axisfeeder View Post
        this

Comment

x2

Comment

I wouldn't go with the double. Like above said... slider requires good level ground and space.

if you get her a "nice" gate... how it opens won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
              x2
              X3 agree

Comment

I guess I'm going against the crowd. I managed commercial real estate for 20 years and always had the most trouble with sliding gates.

Most of the problems with a swing gate come from a free-standing post on one end that isn't set in enough concrete to keep if from shifting and causing the gate to not align properly.

Comment

If you have electrical at the gate go with a slide with a good operator they are very realaible.
                  If solor powerd a swing is a must there is not a single solor slide operator worth a darn.

Comment

If only you knew a weldor that builds gates and installs gate openers, you could have him tell you what you need to know. Especially if one was close to you as well. If only.

Comment

The info I got was the sliders were more of a problem, from the above posts I could have been misinformed

Comment

Draco I think I'll look around thanks

Comment

The company the feed/sporting goods/hardware store I managed just before I got my new job was an apollo dealer. We also did maintanence and installed apollo gates. It is much easier to install swinging gates and alas cheaper. While sliders if not installed perfectly level will give you fits. This being said I would choose the swinging gate. Half the headache at a better price. If you are having keypads put in, make sure that you get them to hardwire them in. Cordless equeals less installation cost but someone in a bigger truck often blocks the signal fromk keypad to reciver. Also we you order either slider or swing arm style ask for a heidolph receiver and transmitter for your clicker style openers. If I remember right Apollo comes with digicode receivers. We had much less problems with the heidolphs. If you need any more info just ask all I have to do is make a call.

Comment

absolutely agree !!

Comment

Both will have equal share of issues, some never an issue, just flip a coin
                              Stick with common brand names, some parts sometimes hard to get your hands on quickly.
                              Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 01-23-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X