Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY 1911 barrel Re-crown .

OK buy the right tools if you want your work to look and function properly

This is the Brownell 11°crowning chamfer tool with 45 pilot and t hadel.

Keep it oiled and clean as you go .

You can mark your barrel if you like and chop saw or use table sander like I did.

Only thing I would like to stress is not to remove to much . Stay above your mark , 2 reasons .

1. You need metal to let the chamfer tool work with out getting to far back into your barrel

2 when you grind or sand you are heating that barrel and it will change the Rockwell hardness of the barrel.

So keep some metal and to remove with chamfer . And it will cut away the metal you heated up.

My OP. Again I'm not a smith just like to tinker
    Attached Files

Looks nice. It probably isn't as important on pistols because I think a crown affects accuracy less on pistols than rifles, but I'd be scared to do it with a hand tool. Interested to see the after shooting report!

Comment

Well every little bit helps but yes you are correct .

As far as by hand, you have to remember only the very inner most part of the barrel is the functioning crown . Anything past lat is for looks more than accuracy.

If you go slow keep it clean and don't let it chatter it will turn out fine .

I don't think this will do much for my accuracy but it looks nice . Not the best shot but I renewed my chl Saturday and scored 246. Not the best but not to bad considering I had 9 other people shooting around me on the same command . Any how cleaned up and all done for now , I don't take it in to the bushing for the simple fact I want that bit of barrel if for some reason I need to crown again .

Thanks guys and I'll post up some range reports this weekend .
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work. I heard the cutting a crown on a carry gun is a good idea since it lessens the chance of goofing up the barrel if it were dropped on something and had a negative effect on the accuracy. Not sure where I read that though. May not hold any merit.

Comment

Well I got the WC match bushing in and fitting well not really any fitting to it. Just had to Polish some surfaces and it went eight in.

I used some 1200 grit pepper and some good old elbow grease .

Very very nice part and fit .

I opted for the thicker flange and it resested the barrel just a bit. Looks great.

No DIY course really not much to it.

Range report will be Sunday night .
          Attached Files

Comment

Well don't know if its good or bad . I do know its left . Any how pics @20yrd.
            Attached Files

Comment

Shooting left if you are right handed can be caused by too much finger on the trigger. You want to pull the trigger with the tip of your finger so the second joint of your index finger does not drag on the pistol frame and push the shot left.

Comment

Well I have one more part coming . The Wilson combat group gripper link and full length guide rod .

As far as shooting left , I guess I'll gave to try a diff grip move around a bit worst case I'll get a sight tool if I can't change the sights can. HAHA.

Thanks guys

Comment

Did it shoot left with the old barrel bushing?

Comment

Yeah it did so it may be me or the sights . I'll shoot my other pistol see if I'm shooting left .

Been looking and what I read is that if not fitted properly the bushing can be pushing on the barrel wile its trying to lock in to battery causing a spring action as well . I may get the 1000 grit out and see if I can not clean it up just a bit more .

I would be happy to see them all together in a group than spread out. But it may be me. Can put old bushing back in see if it changes .

Work in progress
                    Last edited by h2447intx; 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X