Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big is too big?? When it comes to eating a hog....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I don't have to worry about "buried" glands that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Bminchew View Post
      No such thing as a sow or barr being to big. Boars if they stink I don't mess with them.
      x2

Comment

I have eaten 30#-300+#. All ate just fine

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

What they eat means way more than size. I won't touch one that has been grazing wheat. Rough country pigs are better. Wheat just does something to meat. I seen the same thing on geese.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I have heard that from two fellas that have killed a bunch of hogs in their day. Front quarters and straps are good but the hams can be stringy and tough...
            A good grinder wil fix the hams where they are edible from an old magnum. I jut dont like messing with them. here are way too many hogs around here and a fellow can only eat so many. Ill just wait until a hundred pounder comes along to eat one. Buzzards gotta eat too. same as worms..

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              We dont gut them. . dont go anywhere near the gut sack. I cut them down there back and peal the hide away. cut the front quarters out, then do the back quarters, backstraps and haul the rest away to the buzzards. yes, I know we leave the tender loins, but to me it aint worth going into that gut sack to get em. I saw Skylar at Diamond C do something similar while the pig was hanging and he got the loins and still didnt gut it.
              Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Same way I do my pigs. If you don't want the ribs, only way to fly.
              x3

But most of the time I do a head shot and my daughter loves eating the ribs.

It depends on the area and what time of year you shoot a hog. You just have to kill and try eating a few where you hunt.

Comment

We kill and eat all sizes and they are all good. We get them back to camp quickly and do the no gut system. Cut the hams off and get the straps out, the rest goes to the yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                  This may be a question for another thread, but here goes.
                  Just recently bought a small piece of property, and have been feeding for about six months. I have lots of hogs coming in but have never shot one. Deer season is almost over which means it's about time for me to take my first hog off of it.
                  I hear people talking about glands and such. What is the best way to clean one?
                  I killed one about 50 pounds years ago, and don't remember doing anything to it but gutting and skinning.
                  There's no glands. You may be thinking of javelina. Clean same as a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bminchew View Post
                    No such thing as a sow or barr being to big. Boars if they stink I don't mess with them.
                    This right here. I wouldn't eat a 20lb boar if I was starving. Any boar has a smell, that's a fact regardless of what others say. You may have a higher tolerance but a boar is a boar, well unless it's lacking boar things... Then it's tasty. I prefer a fat one, whether it's a fat 50lb sow or 400lb sow. However I'll take the biggest and fattest Everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
                      What they eat means way more than size. I won't touch one that has been grazing wheat. Rough country pigs are better. Wheat just does something to meat. I seen the same thing on geese.
                      This too

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                        We dont gut them. . dont go anywhere near the gut sack. I cut them down there back and peal the hide away. cut the front quarters out, then do the back quarters, backstraps and haul the rest away to the buzzards. yes, I know we leave the tender loins, but to me it aint worth going into that gut sack to get em. I saw Skylar at Diamond C do something similar while the pig was hanging and he got the loins and still didnt gut it.
                        Most of the time i will only take the backstraps. However, I have used this process to take the hams.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
                          Mine is 150--- but there are going to be a lot of people who have "ways" of making a bigger hog taste great.. I'm just not a firm believer in that, and don't have to time for that. So 150 is my limit.
                          That's about my limit as well, although I have a buddy who gets the hams cured and he likes BIG ones. I just don't like to clean them and get their stink all over me, my truck, and my knives.

Comment

It all depends on the stink to me. If they small bad, I won't eat them. If a 200#'er and 60#'er are in front of me at the same time, the small one will get shot 90% of the time. Exception to the rule is sows. They don't get stinky no matter how big they get.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              No such thing. The bigger the better.

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                                There's no glands. You may be thinking of javelina. Clean same as a deer.
                                I wasn't gonna say anything...I had never heard of that before.

Comment

Working...
                                X