Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atacosa

Hey fellers,

Had a friend get a spot to hunt in Jan. on Laguna Atacosa, was wondering if anyone had maps of the refuge and what was the best bet for Nilgai out there. I told her as much as I knew about bowhunting them, just need to know if they have any productive ponds or areas she needs to check out 1st. We're going down there in Nov. to pre-scout and figure out her game plan. Thanks,

Russ

I used Google earth...

I typed in the city Rio Hondo and then followed the street Gen Brandt to the right until it died into the refuge. If she got drawn then she has a map and that will help her get oriented as you look around on the website.

I got drawn for December and can't wait. Good luck to your friend.

Comment

Ah ok I'll talk to her tonite and see if she picked one up. I've guided hunts on King Ranch but never down there, so just trying to get some ideas of how the land lays to get in position to get a Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by JavelinaRuss View Post
        Ah ok I'll talk to her tonite and see if she picked one up. I've guided hunts on King Ranch but never down there, so just trying to get some ideas of how the land lays to get in position to get a Nilgai.
        Well this will be my first time so any tips or hints you'd be willing to part with would be much appreciated.

Comment

Winter (Dec.-Mid Feb.) is the rut for them so the bulls will be moving. On King they just did a radio collar study that showed some Older bulls will stay in about 2-400 acres. not all of them, but if you spook one just back out and give him a bit to clam back down and let everything go back to normal.

Watering Holes.... they are important even in Winter to these animals Esp. mid-day. Practice your long range bow shots (60-75yds) sometimes you can get closer but most of the time they're so wired that a hail mary is all you got, plus it makes the 30 yds shot seem Ice cream anyway and if it's split second shots then auto pilot is the only way to go.

Now that all being said......This is experience on King Ranch, and while they are hunted hard and are extremely wary there I bet they may be worse on the refuge, but this should give you a starting point.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm excited and need to get out and practice some longer range shots.

Originally posted by JavelinaRuss View Post
            Winter (Dec.-Mid Feb.) is the rut for them so the bulls will be moving. On King they just did a radio collar study that showed some Older bulls will stay in about 2-400 acres. not all of them, but if you spook one just back out and give him a bit to clam back down and let everything go back to normal.

Watering Holes.... they are important even in Winter to these animals Esp. mid-day. Practice your long range bow shots (60-75yds) sometimes you can get closer but most of the time they're so wired that a hail mary is all you got, plus it makes the 30 yds shot seem Ice cream anyway and if it's split second shots then auto pilot is the only way to go.

Now that all being said......This is experience on King Ranch, and while they are hunted hard and are extremely wary there I bet they may be worse on the refuge, but this should give you a starting point.

Comment

I didn't have much luck last year seeing much of anything, and since I took my sweet time this year I won't be hunting the season. If I can find my map I will tell you what sections killed the most nilgai and where I saw dung piles.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                I didn't have much luck last year seeing much of anything, and since I took my sweet time this year I won't be hunting the season. If I can find my map I will tell you what sections killed the most nilgai and where I saw dung piles.
                I appreciate any help I can get. Being my first time I have realistic expectations and know it's going to be a learning process.

Comment

Working...
                X