Cable Snare Gambrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Snare Gambrel

I thought I needed a new gambrel, so I wanted to try a different style. I had a coat hanger style, but you have to watch out or a ham could hit the dirt.

What you need is:
    1- piece of 3/4" EMT conduit (electrical pipe) cut at 20"
    1- 5' of 1/8" galvanized wire cable
    3- 1/8" Ferrules (crimp connectors)
    1- Link of chain

Tools
    Tubing cutter or hacksaw
    File
    Drill with 1/4" bit
    1- Large Ferrule Crimper

Cut conduit off around 20", and deburr with file. Then drill a 1/4" hole through the pipe about 3/4" from both ends. Take the cable and make a small 1" loop on one end with one of the ferrules, and crimp.Then make a lasso by threading the cable through that small loop. Then Thread cable through one of the holes in the pipe and add a ferrule and the link of chain. Form a loop around the link of chain only, with the cable. Thread remaining cable through the other 1/4" hole and put on last ferrule. Make a wrap around itself while forming the last 1" loop. Just make it look like the other end, and crimp. Then pull on the chain link and get it centered on the pipe, snug down ferrule and make last crimp.
    The most expensive part of this project by far is the ferrule crimper. I don't think there is a way to get a good crimp with out it. The cable is rated for 320# and if anything is going to fail it would be the crimps. I just don't trust smashing them with a hammer to hold. Hey any excuse to buy a new tool. Right?

Cost:
    EMT conduit $4 for 10"
    Cable 27 cents per foot
    Ferrules 75 cents for two
    Large Ferrule Crimper $24
    Link of chain free

Assembly Time:
    Less than 30 min
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bulletpusher; 11-27-2007, 11:07 PM.

Nice. seen these around but never used one.

Comment

I have one and they work real well!

Comment

great job I'm going to try this one.

Comment

I use mine all the time and prefer it over the coat hanger type as they are usually to wide to use on pigs. Nice job, makes we want to build another. Woody

Comment

Why not take it a step further and make it adjustable width? Maybe use the tarp/ tent poles that have a push button to adjust from one hole to the next? I know cleaning pigs, I can need naything from 10" to 25 " wide, and I often spread them while hanging.

Comment

looks good. If I get another it will be like that. I just bought a T-hanger, don't know if anyone has used one but it looks like it will do the job well.

Comment

Nice Snare Bullet Pusher Never Seen One Like That Before Looks Pretyy Simple To Make Gotta Try That One
                Thanks For The Idea

Comment

I used to really like those, until I had a crimp fail while I was cleaning a hog, darn near took my head off when it let go.

Comment

That is nice...as long as it didn't slip off the legs.

Comment

Working...
                    X