Lions in San Marcos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions in San Marcos?

The city of San Marcos is not taking any chances, and is warning residents about the recent sightings of mountain lions.

Our Daughter called last week after they both heard a commotion in the neighborhood and a subsequent report of Lion sightings? I hesitated posting until I could find a "reliable" link since the GS loves to bash these type of OP's. They live in the city limits and when visiting we have seen a good number of Whitetails just outside their home grazing the green grass...so, ample opportunity for meals not even taking into affect the various dogs, domestic cats wondering around as a food source.

I've never "seen" a lion personally but have seen the tracks, confirmed by GW's in Granbury and Glenn Rose....so here's another OP to argue on...FYI.

I saw one near Canyon Lake about 30 years ago

Comment

People are so stupid. Not afraid of a city mall parking lot, but afraid of a very elusive shy cat.

Bring your pepper spray! Ha!

BP

Comment

?

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        http://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/...cos/1120450201

People are so stupid. Not afraid of a city mall parking lot, but afraid of a very elusive shy cat.

Bring your pepper spray! Ha!

BP
        Not sure why you say it's stupid?? These cat's are opportunists and even with a huge range...well??

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
          Not sure why you say it's stupid?? These cat's are opportunists and even with a huge range...well??
          Because people worry about all of the wrong things. While you could always have a mountain lion attack it is an extremely, extremely rare occurrence. Kind of like school shootings.......you are much more likely to die driving your car to work than from either of the other activities.

-john

Comment

Bobcats are in San Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Bobcats are in San Marcus
              Well played!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                Because people worry about all of the wrong things. While you could always have a mountain lion attack it is an extremely, extremely rare occurrence. Kind of like school shootings.......you are much more likely to die driving your car to work than from either of the other activities.

-john
                X2
                Or die being car jacked or shot when some thug kicks in your front door..

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                  https://www.ksat.com/news/city-of-sa...ns-in-the-area

Our Daughter called last week after they both heard a commotion in the neighborhood and a subsequent report of Lion sightings? I hesitated posting until I could find a "reliable" link since the GS loves to bash these type of OP's. They live in the city limits and when visiting we have seen a good number of Whitetails just outside their home grazing the green grass...so, ample opportunity for meals not even taking into affect the various dogs, domestic cats wondering around as a food source.

I've never "seen" a lion personally but have seen the tracks, confirmed by GW's in Granbury and Glenn Rose....so here's another OP to argue on...FYI.

I have absolutely no doubt they could possibly be in the area.. Mountain lions are not as rare as some would have us believe.. They are very elusive creatures..

Comment

Seems legit. No more sign of one in Wimberley. Could easily be the same one.

Comment

Anything is possible.

But with all the technology out there, the number of people that have home security cameras, makes me not believe this till I see proof.

Comment

I was on a lease between SM and Wimberley for 4 years, and got off 4 years ago. My first year on that lease, which would've been 8 yrs ago, I saw a mountain lion with my very own eyes, during spring turkey season.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
                          Yep. Only 20 or so recorded human killed by lions since America's founding. But thugs kill innocent people every day.

Comment

If there's truly one in San Marcos, it will be dead very quickly. They don't make it long in areas with lots of roads and lots of humans.

Comment

I go to school at Texas State and walk those trails with my dog at Purgatory Creek where the sightings were. It's a huge nature trail area that backs up to tons of heavily wooded acres. I've seen foxes, deer, coyotes, and the occasional bobcat but I don't doubt mountain lions are out there. It seems like a perfect area for them to be. My dog has found a few deer carcasses out there as well. I think people are starting to see these mountain lions more and more as San Marcos continues to develop into their habitats.

I'm tempted to set up a few trail cameras in the area to see if I can get a picture of one!

Comment

Working...
                              X