Ffa/ag teacher/validating hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ffa/ag teacher/validating hogs

I am totally lost and don't know what to do, say, or what. This is my sons freshman year and he wanted to be in ag and wanted to show a hog. His ag teacher had a meeting on september 7th or 8th. Went over what was expected. At this time we signed up to get and show a hog. On the paperwork he wanted my numer and email for notifications and dead lines. I really wasn't sure what the process was here so i got his number and called him the next day. I basically asked what, when, and where. In navarro county the youth expo is in the last week of march. He said we would need a hog bought around thanksgiving even a week after that. At this point he said that everyone at this school traditionally got their hogs thru him. I was very polite and said i like to pick out my own. Thru the conversation he kept telling me the he knows what the judges like at are show and he could pick best. I told him with me and son it is part of experience of going and getting a hog. His voice was strained but i really didn't think much of it. He then added that the ag barn had a fire last year and that they had pens enough for 10 hogs and had over 20 kids signed up. He asked if i could pen my hog off campus. This was a huge pain in the *** but if it helped i would. I found some land and after spending $300 i got a pen. To end the conversation i told him we are without a doubt getting a hog and would pen off campus to help. I told him if he had any thing we needed to do just call. He said no problem "i got your number". I went and got my sons hog the sunday after thanksgiving. I told my son to just him know we are good on a hog. A lot happened in next 2 months. The next thursday they found my father beat to death in a drug den of a hotel. I loved him but he was a brutal alcoholic chose alcohol over family. He was my dad and loved him. If he needed anything i helped but he could not be around me or my kids if he was drinking. My son was so upset. He just thought if we had been around him more he would stop drinking. I have never and will never tell of the brutality of that man but i physical and mental scars. Welli was distracted and my son was to. I would ask every now and then but he said they don't talk in class about progect. Last we i just called and said what is up. The teacher sounded confused and said you didn't sign up for a hog. I din't know what to say. I referred to my previous texts and phone call. He still was like "what". After 10 minutes he finally goes branchs dad? I am like yea. He said that we had missed the validation. To put this in perspective when i went to highschool in the texas panhandle the only hogs that had to be validated were the ones that were going to be shown at san antonio or houston. I never had to validate. I reminded him about me doing him a favor and penning off site. I asked how i was to find out about deadlines if y'all don't tell kids in class. By text and email which i would know if i had signed up at the first meeting. I did and had 2 people with some influence call and tell him they saw my paperwork. One was a vet in town and the other a sheriffs deputy. So he says no hog show and that all in all i was out $1000. My son dropped in between the cracks and they forgot him because i penned off site. I then called the president over the youth expo and he told me that i hadn't signed up for a pig and just bought one and didn't tell anyone. Well now he has lied on me. He sends me a text saying if my kid payed more attention and asked questions this wouldn't happen. "a teachable moment" he said. The teacher that taught my sons ag class told me they do not discuss the ag projects in class because less than have the class have animals. My son told the truth and she nver told my son anything because the list the head guy gave her of kids with projects didn't include my son. I am beside myself and want to get a lawyer. He had to start lieing is what gets me. If he had said "i just screwed up" i could have ate that **** sandwich. My son is heart broke. He was so pumped just for a grown man to lie on him like that. This is long but if anyone finishes reading this any advice.

Man I don't have any advice but that is a real terrible deal and shows the unaccountability of the majority of society anymore. Pretty sorry of the ag teacher especially you did a favor penning off campus. I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Your son is watching how you handle this so play it cool and get the word out and tell your side of your story to whomever will listen. The ag teacher needs to be held accountable for the f up

Comment

Call your county extension office. Sometimes there is a validation committee and they can vote on stuff like this. I would also get your breeder to write a letter stating when that animal was sold to you.

Good luck.

Comment

We discussed our ag projects and upcoming deadlines in class all the time. Don't remember a validation portion for hogs only steers. But this was 20 years ago.

Comment

I would talk to the superintendent of the school and explain the situation. Sounds like he was ****** cause you didn't get a hog from him. What a loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Show it under 4H and tell the Ag teacher to pound sand. Sounds like he got butthurt because you cut him out of making a $100 off of you when he marks the price of the hogs up.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Call and talk to talk to the ag teacher at frost. His name is Harry Dotson he MIGHT be able to help you somehow.

Comment

When i was in high school we didn't validate. I had no idea.

Comment

I am going to file an official protest with the executive committee of the youth expo. Yea i have to pay a $100 to do it. Hopefully i will get a response tomorrow how to get the response to how to proceed. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Good luck to you.

Comment

I agree with Hoggslayer, mad cause they lost money on their little hog selling enterprise. Pretty childish of the ag teacher

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad. It’s really sorry on the Ag teach. I agree with Hogslayer show it under 4H. Definitely sounds like Ad teach got butt hurt because you didn’t buy from him. Really don’t know why they wouldn’t talk about dead lines dates, validation, etc. If they don’t maybe Ag teach needs to get caught up with the social life aka Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and send important info that way too. I’d definitely be contacting the committee and protest.
                        Our time showing was a train wreck w Ag. until we got a stable teacher. We started in 4H when daughter was little by the time FFA came around she was hitting the ground running. Something happened in her freshman year and the FFA bug. She grab that and ran w it. She was actually the teacher go to on dates, shows jackpots, majors etc.. Her senior year w did every major just to say we did it. Her Jr / Sr year we did heifers now we have shorthorns and 3 due in March. She’s now one of two teachers at Lake Worth. Hopefully you get the response your needing. Good Luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          Show it under 4H and tell the Ag teacher to pound sand. Sounds like he got butthurt because you cut him out of making a $100 off of you when he marks the price of the hogs up.

Hoggslayer

This. An AG teacher can make or break a program. Word to the wise, want to know what kind of FFA program you have in your Town see how many 4H clubs there are. Dollar to donut holes if it’s a lousy program there’s a 4H every other block.

Originally posted by dsb6446 View Post
                          I am going to file an official protest with the executive committee of the youth expo. Yea i have to pay a $100 to do it. Hopefully i will get a response tomorrow how to get the response to how to proceed. Thanks for the input.

I think this is your best bet for this year. Tell your boy y’all got everything set for next year, even if y’all can’t show only way from here is up! Good luck to y’all and don’t give up bc of this one incidence!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was half way out the door walking away from this mess and he started to blame my son. I got hot.

Comment

Go 4-H and tell the ag-FFA teacher to go blow. My son started in 4-H and when he got in high school, he started ffa. He found that if you weren’t on the teachers list, well he didn’t have time for you. Cool, he showed under 4-H and won. He took grand and later reserve.
                              Support your kid and find a program that cares about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X