Back tension release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back tension release

A friend gave me a Scott longhorn 4 finger back tension release. I don't use it exclusively but use to practice so I don't punch the trigger on my regular wrist caliper. I was told that with back tension the concept is to slowly roll the shoulder back and focusing in the pins, rather than the shot. Is this true? And do u all have tips?

The shoulder rolling part I know u gotta focus on your pins with both.

Comment

Search youtube. There's some pretty good vids about back tension releases.

Comment

If you learn to shoot that back tension release well, you may consider going to a thumb release for hunting. Feels much more natural to me than a wrist strap release.

Comment

^^ this

Comment

You should never focus on the pins because you will chase them. Focus on where you want that arrow to be.

First - start with a loop string that you put your bow hand on one end and the release on the other. Set up the shot - anchor. If the rope is the proper length, slowly increase the back shoulder tension by pulling with those muscles, slowly relax your hand, push forward with your bow hand. Do not try to use your hand to rotate the release. Relax your hand.

If you shoot it properly, that string should pop forward in front of your bow hand. If you messed up, it will fall down. Weird how it works, but I learned that from Larry Wiese's book Core Archery.

maybe I should put together a video series because everything I've seen on You Tube sucks. Well, in regards to the hinge release.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that out. Should u here the click when it falls off the little bridge it has ?

Comment

I actually turned the clicker around because in my mind the click made me panic and distracted my focus from the shot. So, no clicky for me.

Comment

The click should be used to initiate the shot sequence, not be in the middle of it.

Comment

Exactly what Britches said. I also turned the half moon around cause when I heard that click, it made my shot sequence a lil off.

Comment

Working...
                    X