No announcement yet.

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still very much against government mandated proficiency tests.

Laws do nothing to help an individual in this case,

BUT

In a private property, or otherwise controlled environment situation, where the owner/manager is willing to work with the shooter, it very well can help improve the success of the hunt, the attitude of the hunter, and improve the overall positive outlook of it by all.

Rick

Comment

Accuracy

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      That’s not very realistic at all!!! I’ve seen guys that have been shooting 20yrs that can’t shoot 6” consistently at 20yds. Some are very proficient hunters because they only shoot critters at 10-15yds; or whatever distance that they can hit what they are aiming at most all the time.

It all comes back to ethics and common sense! There are folks out there who do stupid stuff with any weapon, and also sh** happens once in a while.

Rick started this thread to try to get folks to realistically look at their own shooting, and make good decisions while hunting.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will recant my statement then, 6" accuracy at whatever range your plan to shoot animals at. It could be 10 or 15 yards. This allows for little more margin or error if something happens during the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        Let's not get side tracked.

The 9" plate - Is it, or is it not proficient ability in accuracy for hunting?

Rick
        I be-leave the 9 inch is good, if say at 15 yards you can put 9 out of 10 in it and i mean in it full paper hole. id say your good,,
        i have other questions and remarks but will stay the course of the thread..

Comment

Ok so I don’t know how I feel about this after reading through the replies lol. I shot 25 arrows, but from 15 yards instead of 20. Because 15 is my max for animals and I prefer 12. I shot 25 arrows and had 23 inside the smaller 7.5” circle and 1 still in the plate but on the outer edge. One I shot just over the top of the plate and missed altogether. For my hunting purposes though I feel like it’ll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I been so busy with work and the shop I haven’t even picked up a bow in several weeks!
            Still wanna try this at some point

Comment

Ryan, I’d hate to be a deer inside your comfort zone!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                Ryan, I’d hate to be a deer inside your comfort zone!! Lol
                That's kinda what I was thinking.

Rick

Comment

I shot it again today at 20...but I shot 26 arrows. Out of the 26, 13 were in the inner 7.5” circle, 5 were in the lip of the plate, 2 cut the edge of the outside of the plate, and 6 were clean misses.

Comment

And now for some reason I'm fascinated with shooting at a black dot on a paper plate.

Comment

I went ahead and did the shot today with my recurve, but did not put a paper plate on my target. Instead I put a nail as the Spot and then measured my misses from center of nail.
                      I hope that I am able to keep this grouping together and continue to improve.
                      19 out of 20 were inside of 9" I flubbed one high left and additional 1.5"
                      16 out of 20 were inside of 5"
                      I shot mostly 3 shot groups retrieved and shot again.
                      What this told me is that I do not believe in the 9" circle situation. From center of dot you have 4.5" of miss in any direction.
                      If I am shooting at Texas Whitetail I may get 4" left or right depending on my intended point of impact, but even then those edge hits are not a good feeling and likely going to be a bad trail. 4" low and you may be pinching the bottom of the sternum/brisket and not getting into good material and 4" high it's possible to not get a blood trail at all from the ground. Again all this is only relative to where your intended hit is to begin with. My personal shot would not allow for 4" low on most deer, or that far laterally either way. Just my opinion and I know I am WAY late to the party. But I have been sick and I'm not shooting in the down pour.
                      MY bow 48.5# Hummingbird @ my 27" & Cedar arrows

I should add that I had some great information from Rick on getting this bow settled in and a lot quieter. It came back from Linda at Hummingbird bows (she refinished it) Monday, put a new string on it, and Amazing once I had it quiet it seems to shoot better for me. Could all be mental but....
                      Last edited by Dry Bones; 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM. Reason: additional informaiotn

Comment

I finally got time to shoot this.
                        Needless to say I am EXTREMELY happy with my shooting since I haven’t shot may bow in over 3 weeks. I may be dq’d though because I took a few warm up shots first.
                        But I did shot it from 20 yards!
                        All 20 in the plate and looks like an even 80 if I did my math right.
                        I may be a little weak spined cause I grouped a little to the right! [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Ps.. I like to keep my hunting shots around 15 but will shoot at 20 if I feel good about it.

Comment

You have the plate upside down, no center dot allowed and you marked it in pencil not pen.

30 lashes with a wet noodle!

Great shooting though! [emoji847]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Crap... I didn’t see anything where it said to have the plate turned either way or no center dot allowed or mark with a pen/pencil.
                              Guess I’ll retake the test in a few weeks when I find time!! Lol

Comment

Lol. That was on the one on his page for the annual Valentine's shoot. You did good. But I need to shoot it again too. Just to gauge progress.

Or regress. [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X