Preseason TEASE! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preseason TEASE! :(

So here are some pics I got the last time I was out on the property I hunt. Its at a hay trough out in a CRP field. This happens every year, I get game cam pics of decent bucks before season. When October comes around poof they check their calendars and they are gone. There may be some night time pics and maybe a rare daytime pic sonce of 1 maybe 2 of the nice bucks other than that they disappear. I have never seen them with my own eyes just in gam cam pics. No one else has hunted this place but me the past 2 years unless it was poached and I don't know about it. It is not that great of a location and is a smaller place for the area. Its 245 acres with about 2/3 of it in CRP next to a 2 lane highway. CRP/Cotton on 3 sides with some rangeland on the other. I have seen one stand and feeder on one of the neighboring properties other than that's it.

Not much to hold them on the property other that some areas to bed down. There is a small water hole that tends to dry up in hot dry summers but seems to gain some ground and hold water when it cools off. I have 3 feeders up across the property and contemplated adding one more but don't see the point when the property doesn't hold many deer and the same deer hit all the current feeders anyways. They may pick a favorite throughout the season but show up everywhere. I plan on adding a watering next to one of the feeders and I have had one feeder going year round with one other off and on through the offseason. Not sure of any other ways to keep the bucks around during season other that trying to keep as many doe around as I can by having feed and water out during season and some year round and minimize traffic as much as I can year round. I try to keep mineral and protein blocks out but hogs make quick/lite work of them. Stands/blinds are placed according to predominate winds with travels routes of the deer in mind. I always hunt with the wind in mind.

I have thought about adding a few mock scrapes with drippers around the property. I am not sure of when to put them out though. Pre-rut during rut before pre-rut?

Anyone here on the GS have any other ideas as to how I can hold the deer around? That or other things to consider?
    Attached Files

alfalfa?

Comment

good looking deer!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        alfalfa?
        That's what is in the trough.

Comment

big protein feeder will always have them coming in, especially the bucks.

Comment

If you'll give me GPS locations and gate combinations I'll figure it out for you in no time!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              If you'll give me GPS locations and gate combinations I'll figure it out for you in no time!
              You can just sit in Mason twiddling your thumbs and play switch lol

Comment

Keep as many does around as you can and the bucks will be there.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I think you are on the right track....Year around feed and water are a good tool. I was going to suggest alfalfa but I see you are already using it.

One other thing you may try is corning some roads pretty heavy every time you are out and see how they react to it.

Comment

In for ideas on a semi-similar type of property I own myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X