All around hunting rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All around hunting rifle

Thinking about getting Bergara B14 ridge .300 win mag for my go to hunting rifle. Heavier grain bullet for elk and lighter grain for whitetail. Anybody have one or have any thoughts on the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Jerikson View Post
    Thinking about getting Bergara B14 ridge .300 win mag for my go to hunting rifle. Heavier grain bullet for elk and lighter grain for whitetail. Anybody have one or have any thoughts on the rifle?

Ruger American rifle .308. Great rifle for the price, I upgraded the scope to a Leupold. Love this gun.

Comment

.300 win is overkill IMO.
      .270 and .308 will get it done with less weight and recoil.
      Dont forget about the 30-06. I always do.
      Last edited by BolilloLoco; 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I’m a huge fan of a 7mm08 for elk sized and down game. 140gr Accubond will take care of those kind of animals just fine. Really accurate and easy shooting.

Comment

Don't know anything about the Bergara rifle but the .300 Win Mag is a great all around cartridge. It has been my goto cartridge since I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in that caliber in 1978.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the 300 WIN. My go to gun for deer and elk is a 300 WBY and none of the ones I shot complained about too much gun. I would just get a good 165-180 grain bullet and stick with it. No reason to swap bullet weights. I killed my elk this year with a 168g Barnes TSX and he was dead within 40 yds. That bullet is a hammer on WT also.

Comment

I think it's a solid all around caliber and the Bergaras that I've handled have been really nice. It'd be on my short list if I was in the market, nice rifles for around $1k

Comment

Bergaras are nice.
                I have a B-14 HMR.
                .300 WM is pretty heavy for "all around" hunting.
                Either 7mm-08 or .308 fit the bill much better, IMO.

Comment

.270 and .30-06 would be the perfect all around calibers for North America hands down, both have taken plenty of game all the way from little Coues deer to Moose as well as big brown bears and grizzlies. I know there are others that will say 7mm, 7mm08, 6.5mm, .264 mag, etc. which I’m sure in the last 20 years there has been cartridges with better ballistics. I am going off of what is tried and true through the last 100 years and even the outdoor writers like Craig boddington will tell you in reading their articles.

As far as rifle itself I know nothing about the bergara’s but if it shoots good and you’re comfortable with it, then it’s a winner.
                  Last edited by diamond10x; 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    Bergaras are nice.
                    I have a B-14 HMR.
                    .300 WM is pretty heavy for "all around" hunting.
                    Either 7mm-08 or .308 fit the bill much better, IMO.

Would you get the HMR if hunting was all you were going to do? Not really a competition shooter so the tactical piece seemed unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerikson View Post
                      Would you get the HMR if hunting was all you were going to do? Not really a competition shooter so the tactical piece seemed unnecessary.

The only thing that’s not really (mountain) hunting compatible is the weight. Not like it’s an anchor, but probably not what I’d choose to carry all day in the mountains if chasing rutting elk from base camp is something you’re going to do.

Comment

I'd personally go with a .270 or .30-06, but the .300 WM will definitely get the job done as well.

Comment

overkill on whitetail regardless of bullet,,, heck a 30.06 and 7 mag pretty much are too,,,,,

Comment

7mm-08 is perfect.

Comment

I always liked the use of overkill....as in there are various degrees of dead. IMO there can be just as much damage to a deer with a 243 as with a 300 WIN, i.e. you center punch the shoulder with a 243 and there will be so much damaged meat that very little will be edible. There is a lot of hunters that think a 270 and 30-06 is best all around calibers and I can definitely see why, but when I think of all around I'm thinking deer all the way up to moose and even large bears. For that reason I like the .30 caliber magnums as they are more efficient on the larger end of the spectrum. If all you hunt is WT then anything from a 25-06 to a 308 is perfect, but then again that would not be saying "All Around" IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X