ATA has second thoughts about Crossbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATA has second thoughts about Crossbows

Well, I told them this was going to happen, the real reason the NRA waned crossbows in archery season.

"At that meeting, some board members were concerned that powerful new crossbows were far outpacing vertical bows in performance and would be difficult to consider as primitive weapons entitled to long seasons. The surprising data from the 2017 Wisconsin hunting season, during which crossbow hunters tagged more deer than vertical bow hunters for the first time in history, also drew a lot of attention from the board. Crossbows were just legalized for all Wisconsin deer hunters in 2014 and that is pretty dramatic evidence that modern, high-performance crossbows are easy to use and highly effective.

Comments from retailers and a distributor on the board also indicated anecdotal evidence that crossbows are not serving as a gateway to other forms of archery. Since little practice is needed to stay proficient with them, that can hurt sales of arrows, releases, sights, and many other accessories that retailers depend on to stay profitable.

The board voted 15-2 to study whether the ATA position statement on crossbows, adopted back in 2008, should now be revised. The existing statement reads, in part, "The ATA believes that crossbows are viable shooting and hunting equipment that provide opportunity for a segment of America's hunters and recreational shooters...The ATA leaves the seasons and regulation governing the use of crossbows for hunting to each state wildlife agency. ATA believes that when populations of wildlife, like deer, are overabundant, state agencies should make use of every type of hunting equipment to help control and manage those populations." A study group consisting of staff and board members has formed, has met once and is in the process of gathering data, Arrowtrade was told by the ATA early in June.

In the meantime, I would suggest major crossbow manufacturers declare a halt to the speed race. Speeds in excess of 400 fps and advertisements claiming the accuracy potential at 100 yards and beyond are only going to draw more negative attention from game departments. Nobody in the bowhunting industry will benefit if archery seasons are reduced as a result of the perception that crossbows are morphing into crossguns.

Major sports typically set equipment limitations, from the characteristics of golf balls to the types of engines used in NASCAR. The eight major manufacturers that sponsor the North American Crossbow Federation could consider a 400 fps limit: nothing to be advertised or warranted beyond that. Existing models that exceed that could be packaged with heavier arrows to fit within the new guidelines. With the speed limit in place, manufacturers could still innovate in ways to improve accuracy, comfort, reliability, and ease of use.

Setting these voluntary limits on crossbows would help them be viewed by the public and state game agencies as equipment that is not radically different in performance from a compound bow

-Arrowtrade, July 2018"

Once ambulatory, handicapped and age restrictions were removed all bets were off......as surmised by many TBHers!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

“Whoa whoa whoa...yall need to slow down...before someone notices...just sayin”

Scope, trigger, pistol grip, stock, butt pad... almost sound like archery tools.

Comment

Crossbow hunting ain't bow hunting anymore. I don't think it can ever go back to being for upper body disabilities though. That cats out of the bag, and crossbows are big business now.

Comment

lol, lol

Comment

When Rick Perry supported the manufacturers for Texas I knew it was all downhill!!! Win a few, try to lose very few.

Comment

NASCAR IS a Sport......Yes
              Wrestling IS Real.....Yes
              Crossbow IS Archery......Yes

Comment

Release, let off, sights doesn’t exactly describe archery to some. I remember when it was a big deal when compound bows were first allowed and considered for archery hunting.
                I say just make a general hunting season and bring what you want to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Once ambulatory, handicapped and age restrictions were removed all bets were off......as surmised by many TBHers!!!

What this wise man said ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    I say just make a general hunting season and bring what you want to hunt with.
                    I agree 100%.....

Just have "HUNTING SEASON"..... PERIOD

Comment

The sky is falling!!

Comment

This weekend I saw for the first time that commercial with the guy shooting 100 yard groups with a crossbow. Impressive, but made me cringe a bit. I knew they are popular but I’m surprised to hear that in some states they are taking more deer than “vertical bows”

Comment

I’ve seen 3 shot groups out of a wheelbiw less than 4 inches

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            This weekend I saw for the first time that commercial with the guy shooting 100 yard groups with a crossbow. Impressive, but made me cringe a bit. I knew they are popular but I’m surprised to hear that in some states they are taking more deer than “vertical bows”
                            Just a guess, but I think shooting that good with a crossbow is like shooting a MOA group with a rifle at 500yds

Not just anyone can pick up a rifle and go put three rounds in a MOA group at 500 and probably not everyone can pick up a crossbow and shoot a decent group at 100

Which leads to idiots that don't know any better (or even care) wounding more critters

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Just a guess, but I think shooting that good with a crossbow is like shooting a MOA group with a rifle at 500yds

Not just anyone can pick up a rifle and go put three rounds in a MOA group at 500 and probably not everyone can pick up a crossbow and shoot a decent group at 100

Which leads to idiots that don't know any better (or even care) wounding more critters

Those “idiots” are out there with vertical compounds too.

I do agree with the analogy you used

Comment

Working...
                              X