Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma

I’m on the fence with a deer he’s prolly 6.5 and high 30s low 40s... he’s a beautiful deer and a wall hanger to a lot including myself at one time. I’ve been blessed over the years and taken several good deer so albeit he fits the bill of everything you’d want in esp a etx setting i find myself in a some what of a gamble and pass in hopes of something bigger (the potential is there) or play the higher odds on a more killable yet “smaller” buck like him aka “sway”... what would you do pass and gamble if you knew even with much lower success rate you’d see a better deer or try and hunt a more killable buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top deer

Comment

This is what I despise about trophy hunting, the belaboring of to shoot or not to shoot. If you want the deer take him, if not then approach the season accordingly, with no regrets

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        This is what I despise about trophy hunting, the belaboring of to shoot or not to shoot. If you want the deer take him, if not then approach the season accordingly, with no regrets

Everyone’s in different spots in their journeys neither ones more correct than the other.

Comment

My rule is If he walks in and you grab your binos instead of bow then don’t shoot him.

Comment

This

Originally posted by throwin' darts View Post
            my rule is if he walks in and you grab your binos instead of bow then don’t shoot him.

Comment

I think those bucks will score closer to each other than you think. If I get what you are saying about maybe or maybe not if you would mount it if you shot it, then I’ll share the rule of thumb I am trying to hunt by: if it’s a cull, I’ll shoot it (neither of yours fit that bill), but if it’s a trophy, I will only shoot if I intend to mount it.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                I think those bucks will score closer to each other than you think. If I get what you are saying about maybe or maybe not if you would mount it if you shot it, then I’ll share the rule of thumb I am trying to hunt by: if it’s a cull, I’ll shoot it (neither of yours fit that bill), but if it’s a trophy, I will only shoot if I intend to mount it.

They’re the same deer and i try and stay on the i won’t shoot unless I’d mount, but my only concern there would be i may not shoot another etx deer again lol.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  I’m on the fence with a deer he’s prolly 6.5 and high 30s low 40s... he’s a beautiful deer and a wall hanger to a lot including myself at one time. I’ve been blessed over the years and taken several good deer so albeit he fits the bill of everything you’d want in esp a etx setting i find myself in a some what of a gamble and pass in hopes of something bigger (the potential is there) or play the higher odds on a more killable yet “smaller” buck like him aka “sway”... what would you do pass and gamble if you knew even with much lower success rate you’d see a better deer or try and hunt a more killable buck?

Take him

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would Let him walk, for now atleast. Season is still young

Comment

I would shoot him just because 6.5. Let the younger bucks live. He's a good deer.

Comment

Just his age is I'm looking at, he might not be there next year

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you question it I would pass

Comment

If you have to talk yourself into shooting a buck, you will regret it as soon as you walk up on him. It is a very personal thing and no one can give you the correct answer on this buck. He certainly meets all the criteria for taking but is he the one for you?

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                              If you question it I would pass
                              Agree with this, I didn't shoot a deer again this year. Our season is over here, but it don't matter to me any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X