Land Rover Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Rover Opinions

Welcome any opinions good or bad from owners. We may be in the market for a new or new to us SUV in the next month or so. Wife and I both like the look of the Land Rovers. Prices are on par with a Tahoe or anything else so they are getting a solid look but we don't know anyone that owns one who can advise on longevity, maintenance etc. We had a VW and did the outlined maintenance to a T. Didn't enjoy the $600-700 service when it rolled around every 40k miles but also not sure we needed to flush our brake system . Can we expect that or worse from Land Rover? Not a deal breaker, just want full expectations to evaluate. Thanks!

No input from here but interested. Wife and I are leaning towards the land Rover as well for her next vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All vehicles will pretty much have the same recommend maintenance schedules.
      I owned a Disco ll years back. It was an awesome vehicle. Comfortable and 4 X 4 that was one of the best in the industry at the time. But dang, it was expensive to repair. Mine was from the period of Ford ownership of LR.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Neighbor had one and it was always in the shop. Look at the Toyota Land Cruiser. Maybe not quite as plush but pretty close with rock solid Toyota reliability and resale.

Comment

Long time car guy here. Including working for Land Rover and Chevy.

The Rover is elegant and rough off road. Their dependability is NIL,,, almost non existent even ! Horrendous service history.

Meanwhile, the Tahoe is mainstream normal not elegant or flashy sexy like the Rover. Tahoe might be the most reliable full sized SUV ever made.

If servicing is something you are considering, you really need to check up the dependability online of Rover products. Might be the worst in the industry even.

I know which way I’d choose and HAVE chosen. Z-71 4WD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He’s a good dude. Quotes people a lot but makes up for it by being a stone cold killa.

Comment

Own a Disco II as my hunting vehicle. I drive it 4 hours each way to the lease. It gets the job done if you keep up with maintenance.. as far as repairs, they are expensive. Take whatever your definition of "expensive" is, and then add 20% to it.

Minor issues on the Land Rovers can end up being quite expensive. I've had issues with trim that tallied up to several hundred dollars. The rain gutters on these things are junk. Electrical problems all over the place, with the most frustrating part being sometimes the issues have been difficult to diagnose and have required multiple trips to the shop.

I used to have a BMW that was insanely fun to drive, and even though all the repairs were covered under warranty, I finally got sick of the car being in the shop multiple times a year for several days at a time. Despite their fantastic customer service, I finally got tired of taking it in for repair and got rid of it.

I feel the same way about Land Rover. The pretty girls usually tend to have more issues.

Oh and I almost forgot to add: yes, you should definitely buy one - they are quite fun to drive and I have no intention of getting rid of mine because I don't care what repairs cost. I drive it because I like it.

Comment

Run. I had a disco II as well. Loved the looks and performance. Maintenance was a killer. If someone was to give me one I would sell it immediately

Comment

I've driven / sold 3 of them. Fun to drive, but if an issue comes up, no matter how small, there is no such thing as an easy fix with them.

I would never buy an older one. A newer one, under warranty would be what I would look at.

Comment

Run and run fast away.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                      there is no such thing as an easy fix with them.
                      Truth

Comment

By reading the comments I thought this was a 6.0 powerstroke thread!

Comment

I owned everything from a Range Rover down to the LR2. All of these were post 2005 drive trains, all were new. I never went on a cross country trip without a breakdown. Eventhough they were under warranty, it cost me thousands in lost vacation money.

Land Rovers not only break for all kinds of reasons, Land Rover doesn’t report these. They suppress everything concerning maintanance. Its also like a mafia. You complain at one dealer across the country and you’ll hear from you rep. They also look at your address and don’t want to even sell you a Rover if there is a dealer closer too you.

The best (used loosly) was a 2007 LR3 with a Ford V6

I was told by the Service Manager that “I was not the typical North American Land Rover user” because I actually used mine off road and slept in the vehicles on occasion.
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 08-24-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                            By reading the comments I thought this was a 6.0 powerstroke thread!
                            6.0 is awesome compared to a RR.

Comment

Dad still has his 04 Discovery 2. Awesome vehicle. Fun to drive but it did have its share of problems. 130k miles and it has probably had 5 multi-day visits to the mechanic. Mostly fluid leaks. No electrical issues so far. Not terrible I suppose for a 14-year old vehicle.

Can’t comment on the newer ones, but I imagine they’re very nice vehicles. GM SUV prices are stupid high these days. I would take the Rover all else being equal.

Comment

Working...
                              X