Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there anyway to actually tell if there's a turtle in it if you don't actually see them fall into the cage? Or do you just reel it in every once in awhile and check?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
        I believe they will be able to get high enough in the water to climb back out on that board. So while no one is around they may be able to come and go. But if they are sitting on that board when some one arrives( scares them) they will dive in to the basket. I built one just about like that then tried a board that what would tilt, slide them in the basket. But they still where able to climb out. So I made a pedastal out of the wire that was about as high as your board is. Fastened to the bottom of the cage. Then zip tied a piece of meat on top of it. Oh yea mine had wire ramps so they could climb out of the water up onto the PVC ( three inch) then when they dove in the basket to get the meat they can not get back out. Caught a lot more once I started doing it this way. And once one is in there it really attracts others. I believe the most we have had a one time has been eight. Had far better luck catching others by leaving one in the trap.
        Do you have any pictures? I'd sure like to see that.

Does anyone sell the turtles?

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
          Is there anyway to actually tell if there's a turtle in it if you don't actually see them fall into the cage? Or do you just reel it in every once in awhile and check?

Just pull it in and check

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            Just hang out and see if any come up for air inside the trap

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
              Just hang out and see if any come up for air inside the trap

Unless they are dead

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                Unless they are dead

The dead ones will float after about a day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Do you have any pictures? I'd sure like to see that.

Does anyone sell the turtles?
                  I don't have any pictures, my last one was stolen while dove hunting. But here is a picture, I drew, I think it will give you an idea of how I made it. 3 inch PVC, 1/4 wire mesh and zip ties. The center post sits just above the water level, and that is what we tie the bait to. Don't wrap the wire for the ramps to far over the tops of the PVC. Or the turtles Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	24546234will get a hold and pull them selves out.

Comment

My buddy pulled the trap Friday, had one turtle.
                    He wasn’t sure if it was working properly, so left the turtle in there until today to see if they were escaping.
                    Well he pulled it this evening and there was one more, so trap success.

Comment

Comment

Looks like all it needs now is some stinky bait to draw them in. Any old piece of meat will do, especially chicken.

Comment

This is awesome

Comment

Thank you, Critter!

Comment

just curious what is the largest turtle anyone has caught in their ponds? I know lakes and bayous have some really big ones but what about private ponds, how big do those things get?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                                just curious what is the largest turtle anyone has caught in their ponds? I know lakes and bayous have some really big ones but what about private ponds, how big do those things get?
                                are you talking about the red-eared slider-type, or snappers?

Comment

Working...
                                X