Knife Making - Beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Making - Beginner

If I wanted to get into knife making, as a hobby. Where is the best place to start? What equipment would I need? What's the best way to learn?

tons of how to videos on youtube.

Comment

YouTube is a wealth of information good and bad. Get you some files and sand paper. you're gonna want a vice. I have a rikon 1"x30" belt sander that does plenty fine. It's no 2"x72" by any means but its also around 100 bucks. Get a drill press too.

Then the best thing you can do is go out and ruin some metal and have fun

Comment

There are a lot of good resources here in the DIY section.

Comment

Look at Pheer grinders. I've used the heck out of mine for three years now and it's worked great! A good grinder will make life much easier. Be careful starting this as a hobby. That's how mine started. Now I've got a full knife shop with all the equipment and an almost full blacksmith shop. My shops about 25x40 and its full of stuff...

Comment

Buy one of the blanks and parts from someplace like Jantz and just build one. It'll give you a feel for it. I did that and always had intentions of going to the next step of building everything from raw materials. I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I did enjoy working with the pre-made blanks, though.

Comment

Buckley, have an hour or two on a Saturday or Sunday morning?

Comment

Nice

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Buckley, have an hour or two on a Saturday or Sunday morning?
                    Sorry for the extremely delayed reply (I guess the thread go buried) but, yes, I would. What do you have in mind?

Comment

PM sent Buckley.

Comment

You may want to try "stock removal" knives for just getting into the hobby- you won't need a blacksmith shop to do it and it is pretty fun. As said there is a lot of stuff to be found on Youtube about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X