No announcement yet.

Venison heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never tasted deer heart but if its half as good as beef heart its the best part.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if you could do stroganoff with it

Comment

When my dad was around we ate ( or tried) just about every thing. He liked liver and onions the night of the kill. Some times he would cook the heart at that time also. Heart was ok, for sure not some thing I would cook for my self.Or make a meal of. Liver no way. We did eat elk tongue it was good, he made it like corned beef. We ate elk brains a few times, they were better then the heart, liver, or tongue. We scrambled them with scrambled eggs for breakfast. If I remember they tasted like liver wurst , or bologna. Nuts, floured and deep fried, they were just like bull nuts. True Rocky Mountain oysters. Kidneys he would boil the **** out of, tried it once, no way. Stunk while boiling. Liver, likewise, stunk while cooking. Now with CWD they advise not to eat any internal organs.

Comment

Second try at this (since the first turned out so good)! Prepped it the same way, removed the white stuff, washed it good, and sliced it up and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. This time I browned some onions in butter in a cast iron skillet and threw the sliced heart on top of them. I added a little more butter and Worcestershire and cooked it to about medium well. Wrapped it up in tortillas and ate it up. My son came in and I shared it with him, it was his deer after all. He said "Dad, I can't believe we've been throwing the heart out all this time!" Good stuff! Next one will be chicken fried I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
            Slice about 1/4" slices and get your cast iron pan nice and hot, salt pepper and get your sear on with with a little bacon fat/butter and done...Do not over cook.
            This is the way I do it as well

Comment

My wife made us some deer heart the other nite. It was dang good.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Nope! The heart goes in the gut pile with the rest of the innards!!!!!

Bisch
                Same here

Comment

I was watching Bizzar Foods yesterday and they used a goat heart to make some kind of appetizer, it was not cooked just marinated, they acted as if it was delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

My wife cooks it slow for about 6 hours after she sears it. It's hard to beat, tender as all get out.

(Disclaimer there is some other trimmings added in those pics to make enough for supper)
                    Add tongue to pot, after all is tender grind all and make meat salad for sandwiches, or dip.

Comment

We eat it in fried corn tortillas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X