Freezer went out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer went out!

It didn't exactly quit on me, but the **** GFCI plug in the garage tripped and my freezer was at 37 degrees when I found it this evening. There was water in the bottom of the freezer. It still had ice on the walls. Most of the meat was semi to fully defrosted. I have about 15 lbs of ground venison, 5 lbs of fish, a brisket, and a deer cape from Mexico that I was going to mount.

What does the green screen think? Should I toss everything, or will it be ok to re-freeze the meat and eat later on? I think I'm going to toss the fish in the trash tomorrow. Most importantly, can I re-freeze the cape and and will it will be able to used on a mount?

Thanks

If it's 37 degrees, nothing is spoiled. I'd refreeze.

Comment

I'd could eat that much in 2 days. I would just cook it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Refreeze. It should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with re-freezing it all. I think Steve R talked about that on one podcast, and said it's fine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir plug it back in, meat will be fine. I unfortunately had the same thing happen, but didn’t notice till the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              Nothing wrong with re-freezing it all. I think Steve R talked about that on one podcast, and said it's fine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was just thinking the same thing...he did!!! That’s one of my biggest fears...ok, maybe sharks is bigger...but losing all that meat would not be cool!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Refreeze and get rid of that GFCI! Just went through this as well. Now I'm finally sleeping all night lol

Comment

Cook what's on top, refreeze anything that's not melty. I don't have one (because I'm dumb and lazy) but Amazon has a bunch of freezer alarms that I probably need to look into because there's too much money in my freezer to risk not knowing when the temp rises over freezing.

Comment

Meats fine to refreeze. Also, change out the GFCI with regular outlet to avoid the trip. If you're not a DIY with electricity higher electrician. If freezer is frost free you might have issues with the defrost sensor being frozen over. The fix is to completely defrost the freezer dry out and then restart freezer. This happened to one of my frost free freezers and had to defrost as it would never refreeze. Check out YouTube for some "how tos" Good luck!

Comment

Plug a radio into the same outlet have it on all the time. Cheep freezer alarm. BTW your meat should be just fine.

Comment

Refreeze

I just bought an alarm last week & plugged in yesterday

Comment

If its semi frozen should not be problem..

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            If it's 37 degrees, nothing is spoiled. I'd refreeze.
                            This

Comment

Crank up the smoker! Big cookout and store anything that doesn't get eaten. Monday night for the championship game, seems like perfect timing

Comment

Working...
                              X