Axis buck down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis buck down!

Had a blessed weekend last weekend! FINALLY after many many years and close but no shot opportunities, even on an Axis doe, I finally connected! I was on pins and needles after the shot. After all I have had several close opportunities where I almost had a shot, but they were gone before I could get my gun up, or already in the brush. I even missed one Axis doe in my early bow hunting years shooting downhill for the first time, it went right over her back.

However I got the rare opportunity to go out and hunt with MMLREINER and BHEIMANN92 and got it done! I was on pins and needles after the shot and when he ran off. I realized after the first big one we saw (couldn't get a shot) that I had my scope was still set at 200 yards and this one was less than 100. I insisted we back out, and wait before we went after him. We went back after about 30 minutes as I remembered all of my other ALMOST stories and was afraid I was going to be adding another. As we pulled into the field I was picturing an all night tracking job down ravines etc. I couldn't believe my eyes when we pulled back into the field and MMLREINER hit me on the shoulder and said "THERE HE IS" and sure enough he was down in the field right in front of us!

For some crazy reason he circled back to the field where we originally saw him and dropped, we didn't even have to track him! I can't explain the excitement I felt then and still now everytime I look at the pictures. This is by far my biggest of any deer I have taken, he was huge, and old as dirt! His mass was more like an elk than an Axis, I couldn't be more proud for my first Axis.

I really enjoyed meeting you both, and can't think you enough for the opportunity! The property is truly a piece of Heaven on earth! You may have seen BHEIMANN92's post the other day, he too got his first Axis buck the day I left. Congrats again to you! They only take a few Axis a year but if you get the opportunity to hunt with them, they are hands down some of the nicest people I have had the opportunity to meet, just good people and did everything possible to put me on my deer. I can't thank you enough, a moment I will never forget for the rest of my life!
    Attached Files

Man what a massive axis! Congrats on a toad.

Comment

Wow. Very nice one. Congrats

Comment

Great buck. Congrats and enjoyed the write up!

Comment

congrats - beautiful mature buck! Hoping to get out to do a little axis hunting soon myself

Comment

Congrats. A beauty.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol aww I see you even put him in your avatar! Jonathan you were great and it was a pleasure to have you at the ranch. I’ll never forget the HOWL you let out when we saw him lying there! Good job brother. Great write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats nice Axis

Comment

Wow! Great axis! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck !!
                      One of the best eating too .

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

That's a great axis. Good beam length, but incredible brows and overall mass. Congrats!

Comment

Misty strikes again..........

Comment

Very nice Axis. Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X