Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i remove a piece of hardie plank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i remove a piece of hardie plank?

So... I need to access the interior of my Chimney from the outside of the house to tap into the Gas line that feeds the fireplace. How do I remove a piece of hardie plank at the bottom without destroying everything? And then put it back after I do the work in there? Haven't ever done it before and I can see it going bad real quick.

Thanks

Ryan
    Last edited by Rubberdown; 06-17-2019, 02:00 PM.

Does it have trim on both ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No sir... one side has trim, the other butts up against what looks like a 1x thats in the corner. Does that make sense?

Comment

It should just be screwed/nailed down along the edges. If you are looking to tee into that gas line I would look somewhere else, that line should be a straight run with no connections. I would tap into it in an easier location you could periodically check for a leak.

Comment

Yes you need to remove trim partially with a flat bar. If it has nails in the face cut them with a sawsall. If not lift from the bottom slowly nails will pull through. But keep in mind it is brittle. If you don’t have a nail gun predrill to nail back up.

Comment

City gas or propane tank?

Comment

From my experience, with my patients levels, just go buy a new piece and replace!

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                From my experience, with my patients levels, just go buy a new piece and replace!
                It's brittle. I'd try to be gentle taking it off and then go buy another one when that doesn't work

Comment

In numerous, irregular, pieces....that you put in the trash.

Comment

I guess my question is why there near the firebox? What are you needing to plumb up with gas? There are a lot of options out there. How far is the meter away? Might be better to tie into the line entering the house right there?

Comment

Depending on size, that board was the first one put on the side of the house then all others go on top of it... If it's a short piece like on a square chimney, you can remove trim and pry it up, likely break it, but then go back in with a new board and nail each end so nail heads/screw heads are behind trim...

Other thing you might consider is cut a complete square out if you know where the line is you want to cut into and put a framed permanent door/inspection plate there and match it to color/trim of your house...

Hardie is good stuff, but it can be a real pain to do rework/repair on.

Comment

It’s for a Weber gas grill. It’s on the far side from the meter. I haven’t ever used the fireplace in 15 years or so.

Comment

Can you just use a plunge cutter to remove a small piece and replace it once done with some nails and caulk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have any gas lines in the attic that you can tap into?
                            i.e; for stove, water heater, hvac, etc?

Comment

Wasn't there a thread on here about a fireplace fire where someone tapped into the propane line? Or was it hooking up a burner in a fireplace. In any event, I wouldn't tap a line anywhere and cover it up. But I am not a plumber and I didn't sleep at a holiday inn last night.

I would tap it outside and bury the line halfway around the house before tearing out and tapping at the chimney. As long as there isn't anything to go under like concrete, not that difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X