Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard & Milam county
Default Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.
Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because Iím assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.
I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I donít like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
stephens6
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay co.

I mounted an extra holster to the inside of my console right beside me. I like it because if I need to leave it in the truck for any reason, I can lock the console. Plus, its out of the way and cannot be seen from outside of the vehicle.
stephens6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Depends. If the safety has enough purchase for me to knock it of and ride when I grip the pistol, (ie 1911) having a safety is fine.

If I canít get ahold of it, I donít want a safety. I carry a Shield .40 that came with a thumb safety. I disengaged the thumb safety.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

I carry a Ruger LC9 with a mechanical safety, but mainly because I have kids around the house. Even though I keep it locked in the safe when IM not carrying, I like the extra piece of mind. I do carry a S&W double stacked when IM at the lease, and it does not have a safety. Had to leave it on the RTV last time because I was sweating all over it, and it made me nervous with the kids there. Dont know if that helps any, but thats why I prefer a mechanical safety.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

I keep a Glock 23 in my door side compartment in a shoulder holster with two extra mags. I have the magnet system mounted to the right of my right knee so if a situation presents itself it will be moved from the door to the magnet for quick access. As far as safety's go I don't care for them on any "hamerless" pistol or revolver.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Capp35
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
I carry a Shield .40 that came with a thumb safety. I disengaged the thumb safety.
Then you know how that safety is a positive lock and recessed.
My thinking is that I can keep it unlocked when itís in the holster?

I have time to change my order today and maybe thatís why I keep rethinking it. LOL
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
MD2TX
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque,Collin

This always reminds me of a robbery video I saw once where a pawn shop owner and a criminal pull their guns on each other at the same time. The criminal had a revolver and the store owner had what looks like a Bersa pistol. The store owner in the heat of the moment doesnít disengage the safety and the criminal shoots him. Luckily the guy lived but itís just like the empty chamber debate if you think your going to have the time to rack the slide or click off the safety in the heat of the moment it probably wonít end well . Especially since the criminal is prepared for what he is about to do and the victim is caught off guard majority of the time.
MD2TX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Capp35
Ten Point

The new Shield 2.0 trigger has such a short stroke and precocks) or I wouldn’t of even considered a safety.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Clay C
Ten Point

I think the 1911/hipower are the only handguns to get the manual safety right. everything else no. Keep it holstered in a good holster, don't fiddle around with it and you'll be fine. Gun is only going to fire if something pulls the trigger.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2TX View Post
This always reminds me of a robbery video I saw once where a pawn shop owner and a criminal pull their guns on each other at the same time. The criminal had a revolver and the store owner had what looks like a Bersa pistol. The store owner in the heat of the moment doesnít disengage the safety and the criminal shoots him. Luckily the guy lived but itís just like the empty chamber debate if you think your going to have the time to rack the slide or click off the safety in the heat of the moment it probably wonít end well . Especially since the criminal is prepared for what he is about to do and the victim is caught off guard majority of the time.
I read a first hand account a few years back from a lawyer who was hanging out at his practice with his partners after hours. A guy walks up, pulls a gun and tells them to all get on the ground in an attempted robbery. The guy telling the story was carrying a 1911 in some form or another. He's on the ground watching the robber who has his back turned to him and decides to pull his gun. The bad guy actually heard the safety click, spun around and shot him.

He obviously survived and was able to get some rounds into the bad guy who was subsequently arrested, but I believe he said he would never carry a gun with a safety again. Obviously that is a freak incident and I don't think would ever be a factor in any other incident, but a crazy story none the less.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I read a first hand account a few years back from a lawyer who was hanging out at his practice with his partners after hours. A guy walks up, pulls a gun and tells them to all get on the ground in an attempted robbery. The guy telling the story was carrying a 1911 in some form or another. He's on the ground watching the robber who has his back turned to him and decides to pull his gun. The bad guy actually heard the safety click, spun around and shot him.

He obviously survived and was able to get some rounds into the bad guy who was subsequently arrested, but I believe he said he would never carry a gun with a safety again. Obviously that is a freak incident and I don't think would ever be a factor in any other incident, but a crazy story none the less.
That's interesting. Never considered the sound might potentially be an issue.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:

That is about as believable as the M1 ďclangĒ getting soldiers shot. Safeties arenít that loud, and if you pull a gun, be ready to use it.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
That is about as believable as the M1 ďclangĒ getting soldiers shot. Safeties arenít that loud, and if you pull a gun, be ready to use it.
I think it was just his speculation that was why the guy turned around. Like I said I don't think it is actually a thing or should way into anyone's decision. Was just a crazy story.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp35 View Post
Then you know how that safety is a positive lock and recessed.
My thinking is that I can keep it unlocked when itís in the holster?

I have time to change my order today and maybe thatís why I keep rethinking it. LOL
I considered leaving the safety off while holstered, but was concerned that it would get kicked on, and I would expect it off when I needed it.

Personally, I donít think thereís enough to get ahold of on the shield safety.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
That's interesting. Never considered the sound might potentially be an issue.
I don't think it is. Was just sharing a crazy story relative to the topic.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #16
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
I think it was just his speculation that was why the guy turned around. Like I said I don't think it is actually a thing or should way into anyone's decision. Was just a crazy story.
Gotcha
Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
QuackHunter
Six Point

In my opinion I do not think it is needed. It is an extra process or step you may forget in a high stress situation may the need arise for you to draw your gun. If you plan to train and get proficient with drawing and clicking off the safety in one motion then it's acceptable but for me that just ads another step to a possible high stress situation. That said, also don't carry a gun with a 2lb trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #18
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

XDS for us

No thumb safety, but has grip and trigger safety. It is the best option I have found to minimize accidental discharge, but yet still be a "pull and shoot".
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
jwood02
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

Quote:
I considered leaving the safety off while holstered, but was concerned that it would get kicked on, and I would expect it off when I needed it.

Personally, I donít think thereís enough to get ahold of on the shield safety.
This is what I do, then put it back on when not on my hip.
jwood02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

IMO a safety on a carry firearm is just as dangerous as an empty chamber.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #21
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

I have same gun in performance center. I leave the safety off. With long trigger pull I dont think you need the safety for normal carry.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Both of my carry guns have a hammer and a safety. I don't shoot striker guns well, mainly due to being used to a better trigger. If the difference in me getting shot is the millisecond it takes to click the button, I've already lost. That said, I've found a lot of the "modern" guns to have tiny, hard to manipulate safeties, which I'll agree are dangerous.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #23
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I donít like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?
I though even with an LTC unless your firearm is in a belt or shoulder holster it had to be concealed in a vehicle? Or do I misunderstand what you mean by "out in the open"?

I have one handgun with a safety (original Taurus PT111 M Pro) and one really without (Polymer 80 Glock type trigger safety but I don't really consider that really a safety lol).
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.
Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because Iím assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.

Thoughts or opinions?
Safety or not is your preference, but how is "sitting out in the open next to my leg" any different than inside your waistband or out.......pointing straight down your leg.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #25
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
XDS for us

No thumb safety, but has grip and trigger safety. It is the best option I have found to minimize accidental discharge, but yet still be a "pull and shoot".
THis^^^^^^^^^^^
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

My LC9S has a safety. I carry with it off. When I get home and take off the IWB holster to put the rig away, I flip it back on. Next morning, flip it back off and reholster.

Has worked for me so far. Haven't really had to use it though, but I'm kinda hoping to maintain that streak.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

No thumb safety for me on any of my carry guns and I pocket carry a lot.

Guess I should have been shot multiple times now since they go off by themselves so easily.

And some of them are even those really scary Glocks that have no safeties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
Capp35
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Safety or not is your preference, but how is "sitting out in the open next to my leg" any different than inside your waistband or out.......pointing straight down your leg.
It will be out of a holster.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #29
Capp35
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
I have same gun in performance center. I leave the safety off. With long trigger pull I dont think you need the safety for normal carry.
You need to try the new 2.0 model that came out.
It had the shortest and smoothest trigger pull, compared to standard Shield, Glock 26, Glock 43, and Springfield XDS.
Much improved over the standard Shield.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #30
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

I've pulled my shotgun up on ducks a few times and forgot to hit the safety, there is no way I want to risk that on a self defense gun. I don't carry guns with a manual thumb safety.
Jason is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #31
Vap
Ten Point

Hunt In: L.A. Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
IMO a safety on a carry firearm is just as dangerous as an empty chamber.
This 👍
Vap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #32
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
It will be out of a holster.
So ? Your assumption is that since itís out of the holster itís more apt to ďgo offĒ. I have been fooling with guns for 60 years now and the only discharges Iíve encountered were caused by human error, holstered or not. I imagine the act of holstering your handgun is as close to unsafe as you want to get. Anything gets in that trigger quard (think shirt tail) could make it discharge. Not trying to argue, but itís no less safe next to your leg on a magnet unless somebody gets it or you wreck. I carry on my body in or out of my truck for that very reason.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #33
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

I like xd/xds types, or a long dao like on the older lc9/lcp guns. I do feel that some of the newer striker guns have too good of a trigger for a carry gun without a safety, but I don't carry in an office and my guns tend to be handled fairly roughly so YMMV. That said, I don't like the tiny safeties on the shields though and would opt for a non safety gun, if i was getting a shield. Good luck
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #34
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

They make a kydex trigger shield. it just snaps around the trigger guard.

Quote:

Thoughts or opinions?
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #35
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Carry a revolver, dont have to worry about safeties.

Semi automatic with a loaded round and no safety is not real smart when children are around.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #36
Capp35
Ten Point

Point is mute now to me, it shipped this afternoon......
Without a safety.

I still think it is a good debate though.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #37
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Without a safety.

"moot"

Enjoy your gun
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #38
topduarte
Pope & Young

I carry my Colt Delta Elite with safety engaged.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #39
Capp35
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
"moot"

Enjoy your gun
LMBO
Dang voice text/auto correct on my phone.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #40
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Semi automatic with a loaded round and no safety is not real smart when children are around.
Think of the chillren!!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #41
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Without a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
"moot"

Enjoy your gun
mute

moot

It's moo.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Last edited by Shane; 09-13-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #42
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Guns shouldnít be left unattended around children regardless.......

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #43
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Guns shouldnít be left unattended around children regardless.......

True, and it only takes a second for toddler to get somewhere he aint supposed to be. Unfortunately, we all see it on the news all too often.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #44
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Think of the chillren!!
Yes sir, I do. They just little fellers that aint got a clue.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #45
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Dis iz me safety .....

A safety on a handgun is child protection? I don't buy it.

Manage your weapons. Store them in condition 3 or 4 if you think little hands can get to them.

Last edited by Gherkin05; 09-13-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #46
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've never heard of anyone getting shot because they had to move their thumb and disengage the safety. Plenty of people have been in shootouts with single action revolvers or double action which I'm sure takes the same amount of effort to cock a hammer or pull that heavy trigger back so the first round will go off. If you have muscle memory built into how you plan on handling a situation I really think you're splitting hairs with the argument that safeties are unsafe for a carry gun.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #47
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I've never heard of anyone getting shot because they had to move their thumb and disengage the safety. Plenty of people have been in shootouts with single action revolvers or double action which I'm sure takes the same amount of effort to cock a hammer or pull that heavy trigger back so the first round will go off. If you have muscle memory built into how you plan on handling a situation I really think you're splitting hairs with the argument that safeties are unsafe for a carry gun.
Well stated and I was in your camp for decades but after many training classes I prefer my Glocks over my 1911s for EDC. I want to go to trigger as fast as possible no matter my primary grip position. No safeties on my carry guns, period.

To each his own, stay frosty.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #48
Cawnlu
Four Point

Hunt In: Gordon, TX

It's personal preference. However, if you are concerned that you will not disengage the safety under stress, then you aren't practicing enough. Disengaging a thumb safety as you draw should be automatic and add no time to the presentation of the weapon. Many LEOs carry weapons with thumb safeties and it does not slow their presentation at all.
Cawnlu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #49
Rangefinder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ford Kansas,Shackleford County,Moran Texas

My safety in is finger!
Rangefinder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #50
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

yup