How to make a traditional ham out of wild hog: Wet Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
    I made this 2 yrs ago, and just got my Prague salt in the mail for my next,brine starts Monday.
    It is tasty to say the least .
    I havent taken a hog in a while so has been a good bit since Ive done one, but always comes out delicious. Post pics of the process and results if you can DesertDug.

Comment

Originally posted by TWT95 View Post
      I've been doing this for years. It's awesome. I always smoke mine. Tried it in the oven and it was not good. I brought this to my mothers easter one year. She tried baking a store bought uncurred ham. That was a disaster. I put mine out and it was gone immediately. Everyone asked me where I got it. I hadn't told them what it was because I knew some of them wouldn't have touched it. Everyone was blown away after they found out that I shot it, and prepared it. It is better than any cured ham you can buy at a store.
      What do you bring the internal temp up to when smoking. Do you coat the surface with brown sugar, and other items?

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
        What do you bring the internal temp up to when smoking. Do you coat the surface with brown sugar, and other items?
        145 internal temp over high heat 325 or so. This is prevent stalling.

Rub or glaze as you heart desires.

I will not get to start tonight, forgot to thaw out the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
          I havent taken a hog in a while so has been a good bit since Ive done one, but always comes out delicious. Post pics of the process and results if you can DesertDug.
          There is not much to the process. Very easy and quick start. Then a bunch of waiting, then smoke.

Combine and put in the frig. The plan I should to smoke on the 17th. This will be 2 weeks a bit longer then needed but that's when I can finish it out. There is no problem going longer, just do not want to be short on the brining time.

Comment

Day 2:

Brownish tint from brown sugar.

Comment

Looks great DesertDug! You did use some pink salt/Instacure #1 in the brine right? I'm sure you did, but didn't see it in the pic so figured I would double check, that is what cures it/gives it that rosy pink look and ham taste.

Comment

Ha, nvmnd I see it now in front of the bucket, these old eyes sure aren't what they used to be lol. Looks great man, keep the pics coming!

Comment

Making for trip to the big bend. Plan is to smoke it and freeze for travel.

Having second thoughts of brining till trip which would be @ 14 days. I would then need to keep on ice for min 24 hrs.

Any thoughts on that woods bound?

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
                    Ha, nvmnd I see it now in front of the bucket, these old eyes sure aren't what they used to be lol. Looks great man, keep the pics coming!
                    Ya that's why I mentioned the tint. that's the most brown sugar I used.

Comment

In.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

On the smoker. POS vertical propane

Makeing a smoked hot sauce as well. Got bananas and boudin to put on latter.

Comment

Glaze.
                            WISCONSIN MAPLE AND CLOVER HONEY GLAZED HAM
                            I snagged this recipe from an ad in a magazine from the doctor's office last month!! I knew with Easter coming, I most likely would have to cook SOME

upload a pic

pic sharing

Honey and maple syrup!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X