Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
bmiller
Six Point

Default Clearing Yaupon under Oaks..

I have a pretty thick stand of yaupon underbrush throughout my property that is beginning to take over and growing under the canopies of oaks throughout my property. I had an arborist tell me not to run a tractor or skid steer to clear around the oaks, as it will damage the roots of the trees, and to clear by hand if at all possible. Two questions:

1) if you clear by hand/chainsaw/commercial weed eater how are you cutting low enough to the ground to prevent little stems sticking up everywhere?

2) if you are going to use equipment, whatís the best that wonít damage the oaks - tractor with grapple or brush hog, skid steer with mulcher, etc.?

Appreciate the feedback guys.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Loppers and machete.... unfortunately. I cut it back once or twice a year
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
RatherBhuntin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Got to pull the roots or else it will be a constant problem.
RatherBhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Got any farmer buddies with goats or horses? Either one penned on a patch of brush will wipe it out as long as they're confined to that area.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
turbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden

I used a pole saw and chainsaw to clear under the oaks and pruned the oaks while I was at it. Then I used a mini excavator with a thumb to reach under the canopy and pull everything out and stack it away from the oak. The brush will come back if you don't treat it. I wouldn't spray it with any chemical that will leave residual in the soil. I think next time I will paint the brush cuts with a chemical right away to kill it.
turbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: cass/hunt county

I have no clue about the mowers damaging the root system to the oak trees, but I really don't see how that could happen. I think of it like mowing around trees in my yard, I've never killed one by mowing the grass. I am clearing under brush with a skid steer and brush cutter right now and it beats cutting with saws and weed eaters all day every day. My plan is to start running some goats once I'm done with the clearing. Also, a root grapple will tear that underbrush out with ease. I had a guy come out to my place and he quoted me $100 per hour to run his machine.
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
∆theling
Pope & Young

Cut it to the base. In a bucket mix half diesel half Remedy. Using a paint brush apply the mixture to cut bases. It will kill the holly.
∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
Cut it to the base. In a bucket mix half diesel half Remedy. Using a paint brush apply the mixture to cut bases. It will kill the holly.
Exactly what I was going to say. It’s time consuming the first time but it absolutely works.

If the trees are small enough you don’t even need to cut them. Just spray the base liberally and be done with it.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
bmiller
Six Point

All great info and I appreciate the replies. Iím new to owning land and trying to learn as I go.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
DrewHase7
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Buna

DrewHase7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Is it hunting property or looking at property? If hunting, just leave it. The deer will thank you. If your oaks are post oaks, running equipment over the tops of the roots will definitely kill at least some of them.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
bmiller
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
Is it hunting property or looking at property? If hunting, just leave it. The deer will thank you. If your oaks are post oaks, running equipment over the tops of the roots will definitely kill at least some of them.

Itís a bit of both. Wanting to clear out the yaupon around the house and pond for looks, and then thin some of the other taller stands so that they donít choke out the oaks. In several places, the yaupon is as tall as the oaks.

There are lots of post oaks.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

It is a battle. Clear with limb loppers and poison new growth.
The oaks will have less competition and produce more mast.
Deer love harvesting the acorns under clean trees.
On my place the grapevines love the oaks and they are hard to keep cut where the yaupons are thick.
Worst part is hauling off the yaupon.

But it is a good winter time job. Not hot summer.

BP
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
This ^^^^.

I was actually going to say just spray the youpon trunks with remedy and diesel and wait 6-12 months to cut, but if you are concerned about leaching this is probably a safer method. Put the mix on the stems within a few minutes, though.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
Deerguy
Eight Point

Your best bet, and cheapest in the long run is to run a fire underneath the oaks. Yaupon is easily top-killed with fire. Resprouts can also be controlled with fire, but can also be sprayed as well.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
I have a pretty thick stand of yaupon underbrush throughout my property that is beginning to take over and growing under the canopies of oaks throughout my property. I had an arborist tell me not to run a tractor or skid steer to clear around the oaks, as it will damage the roots of the trees, and to clear by hand if at all possible. Two questions:

1) if you clear by hand/chainsaw/commercial weed eater how are you cutting low enough to the ground to prevent little stems sticking up everywhere?

2) if you are going to use equipment, whatís the best that wonít damage the oaks - tractor with grapple or brush hog, skid steer with mulcher, etc.?

Appreciate the feedback guys.
Thanks for asking this question as I have been wondering as well. I have a place in Rocksprings and always see the nice ranches with beautiful grass and clean looking Oaks with no undergrowth.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
wickll
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Itís a bit of both. Wanting to clear out the yaupon around the house and pond for looks, and then thin some of the other taller stands so that they donít choke out the oaks. In several places, the yaupon is as tall as the oaks.

There are lots of post oaks.
Did you purchase the place north of Victoria? Let me know when you are down sometimes. My place is not far from there and I can show you what I have been doing with yaupon. I have done some spraying, some shredding, and some digging with my tractor and grapple.
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Not sure of your soil type, but in the deep sand where we're at, I wrap a tow strap around a group and yank them out with my truck. Can usually clean up around 1 tree in 3 pulls.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
44mAG
Ten Point

We have done major bulldozing on our place, which included clearing yaupon out from under many tress. This was done over a year ago, and the oaks show no sign of damage. These are all post oaks however, live oaks may be a different story.
44mAG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #20
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
We have done major bulldozing on our place, which included clearing yaupon out from under many tress. This was done over a year ago, and the oaks show no sign of damage. These are all post oaks however, live oaks may be a different story.
I was told it can take up to 7 years for a post oak to die from it. Ive personally seen it take 5. They have energy stores that can keep them going depending on how bad the root damage is. Each year, that reserve gets lower until one spring they'll start to green up and then bam, dead in a week.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

I have the same problem with huisache. The roots look like fire hoses, even on the small bushes. Neighbor says cut them and brush on diesel and Remedy or they will come right back. He is right about it coming back. For some reason where the cedar/juniper is thick there is no huisache, cut the cedars and the huisache gets in high gear and grows fast. Deer eat it some but not fast enough. Anybody else dealing with huisache, not to steal the thread just looking for new ideas. I have some areas that need clearing and I have let warm weather creep up on me again. Not lease, my own 50 acres.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
bobby314
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Loppers and machete.... unfortunately. I cut it back once or twice a year
Same, I cut and spray twice a year, it always comes back!
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #23
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlawdog View Post
I have the same problem with huisache. The roots look like fire hoses, even on the small bushes. Neighbor says cut them and brush on diesel and Remedy or they will come right back. He is right about it coming back. For some reason where the cedar/juniper is thick there is no huisache, cut the cedars and the huisache gets in high gear and grows fast. Deer eat it some but not fast enough. Anybody else dealing with huisache, not to steal the thread just looking for new ideas. I have some areas that need clearing and I have let warm weather creep up on me again. Not lease, my own 50 acres.
there are different options for spraying. brush buster website below

https://texnat.tamu.edu/about/brush-busters/huisache/
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Spray the trunk. Mechanical removal will work you to death and they will be back and thicker before you get finished
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top