Cattle people opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle people opinions

I am back with another cattle issue. First I want to say thank you. I have come here for advice a number of times and always gotten a good response and some excellent advice.

I have a cow that I have had for three years, she has her first calf on the ground and all that is normal. The calf was born in Feb.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I when out to give them a bag of cubes and she didn't come in at first. When she did, it looked like her back legs were not working and she stumbled, but finally made it.

I called friends and two vets, and the opinion was the condition was caused by an injury and not a disease. The consensus was to wait and watch. Maybe caused by one of the other cows, or stepping in hole, or perhaps my big angus bull was trying to bread her again.

She got a bit better, but now her right rear leg is still giving her an issue. She will take a few "almost normal" steps, then it will lock up and she will drag it stiffly behind her for a few steps. Sometimes to the point that the hoof is pointed backwards.

She is pretty mobile and except for that, normal. The leg is not swollen and I can see no visible damage.

Here are my questions.

Do you have a guess on the injury?

Have you seen this before?

Do you think it is permanent?

Could a vet do anything?

What would you do as in; just keep her the way she is, take her to the sale, put her in the freezer, etc....

Once again, thanks to those who offer opinions.

Mark

I’m sure you’ve done your research, There’s several diseases that can cause this, or perhaps she hurt it. I’d call a vet again to be sure and Have them come out there so they can put their eyes on her.
    Last edited by ostey22; 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Being crippled, she wont bring much at a sale barn.

Comment

I would lock her up if possible and see if she gets any better ? but as said above she won't bring any money !

Comment

Look at her hooves? Could be as simple as a big ole thorn.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't do a thing honestly if you've already checked her out and two vets have. I'd wean the calf off her when time comes and then turn her into burger.

Comment

Had one in the exact situation earlier this year. Tried to get her healthy and weaned the calf early. In the end I should have taken her to the auction barn immediately. She brought more than I thought she would for the record.

Comment

I probably wouldn’t do anything. If you’re that concerned give her a shot of draxxin. Stuff knocks out pretty much everything.

Comment

I’d leave her alone and see what happens. Mine either make it or die. I don’t baby them.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    I’d leave her alone and see what happens. Mine either make it or die. I don’t baby them.
                    Yep. If she has a good calf next year, keep her. If not, get her gone.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

This. Cows ain’t kids. Produce a calf or feed somebody. Slaughterhouse employees have to eat too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have a chute? If so get her in there and take a look. Give her a shot of La 200. Give her a couple weeks. If no better put her on the trailer.

Comment

Sounds like a locking patellar tendon. Unlike us humans that have a single patellar tendon associated with our knee cap cattle and horses have 3 (a median, a middle, and a lateral). The medial tendon can "lock" on a bony protuberance on the inside of the femur. When this happens they lose the ability to bend their knee joint so they drag a stiff hind leg. Sometimes it unlocks and it's usually audible and visible as it clicks lose and they bend their knee like normal. You can do surgery to correct it by cutting the median patellar ligament which works the majority of the time. I have had some success with steroid therapy and not surgery. Hope that helps. May be able to find some videos on YouTube to compare to.

Comment

If you can, get a side picture of her spine meeting her pelvis.
                            It sounds like she has damaged her sacrial (sp?) joint. I had 2 bulls that damaged theirs and the symptoms were similar to what you described.

Don't give her any antibiotics, that won't help this issue and you'll be in a withdrawal period.

Their is a pain reliever you can give her and even a steroid that might help but if it is her joint it will never heal.

Comment

I agree with M16 and Curt, she will either make it or die. Cows are tough animals that will die for no reason. With it not being a constant limp I think she has a nerve or muscle problem that will work itself out. Leave her out there and watch her. If she starts losing weight bring her up and feed her so the calf doesn’t suffer. Wean the calf early to let the cow get a break before next calf. If she has her second calf with out problems she should be good to go.Doctoring a cow can get expensive quick and you won’t get your money back if you end up selling.

Comment

Working...
                              X