Craziest sleeping set up at the lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wence View Post
    Sac I was about to post about the two tarps and the sleeping bags. That was tough but they were some good times.
    Good times indeed.

Comment

Old sharecroppers cabin. Smelled like rat dung, BAD. We covered the walls or the "living room" with visqueen, ceiling were sagging, floor was sound but doors didn't work too well. The rain made the smell worse. Probably why I have sinus issues 40 years later. Oh to be young again.

Comment

Had a lease outside Rising Star one year. The place hadn't been hunted in 10 or 15 years. It had an old farm house that had been piled to the ceiling with trash/junk for years. The owner had the farmland empty it out for us to use if we wanted. Electricity but no running water. First night we got there, flipped on the lights and scorpions ran everywhere. And pretty sure had rats/mice running around after the lights turned out. Didn't sleep much that night. There had to be a few rattles around the place too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

1967 Dodge van. Ran an extension cord through the wing window for an electric heater.

Comment

I had a friend get in a barrel feeder one night, thinking he'd just have the pigs come into him at the feeder. Well, long night of nothing coming, he fell asleep in that dang barrel. Came strolling into camp the next morning and was a little sore! Haha

Comment

Tack room in an old barn in Cross Plains. Was actually pretty nice. Also used a milking shed in Colorado. That was cold!

Comment

Miserably hot one day we were down for setup/maintenance, etc. so sleeping in the camphouse was a no go. Setup my little brother in his cot in the truck bed, my dad’s air mattress on the four wheeler ramp propped on a picnic table where I slept on the couch cushions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still use a tent...

Comment

worst was underneath a suburban on a public land hunt, right on the ground.

one of the guys we were hunting with snored so loud we couldn't sleep inside the burb, so I rolled out and got under the thing. It started raining, so I ended up slightly damp, but I got some sleep that night.

Spent two nights on a picnic table under the stars while elk hunting one time.

Then there was the old turkey shed with the leaky roof and non-stop talker in the bunk next door......

Comment

Huntsville lease in the 80s, back of a pick up headache racks with a tarp, super cold and snow over night we were using a Dome Coleman heater, woke up with a checker marks on our long-johns, Crazy we didn't catch on fire.

Comment

Spent many nights in a converted 18 wheeler trailer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Goat barn in Florence a long long time ago. Yes, we shared it with the ranchers goats!

Comment

My son was drawn for a TYHP deer hunt on a private ranch. Beautiful place, and the owner went 1st class on everything - heck, his storage barn was nicer than some people's homes. They allowed us to sleep in the never used by horses horse pen. Each stall was spacious, and the structure had a roof, concrete pad, and two side walls, but the front and back were open. We pitched our tents and went to sleep. The weather changed dramatically, and it got very cold, and very wet very quickly. Overnight, the temperature dropped to 19 degrees. With the wind chill, it was probably 10 degrees that night. Thankfully, we had a Little Buddy heater with us and that sucker saved our bacon. We were miserable, and my son never got a shot at anything, but we had some huge fun on that hunt.

Prior to that, and it wasn't a hunt, but when I was young and strong, I was in the Army, and we were in the field playing, well, Army (aka "field exercises"). It started raining a lot, and everyone laughed when I found an old wheelbarrow and turned it upside down and crawled under it to stay dry. Everyone started calling me "turtle boy", and I told them it was actually Sergeant Turtle Boy. They laughed, but i stayed warm and dry. But again, that was a long time ago.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I was invited to a place that was a 3 room old wood home , 1 bedroom had a king size bed (for the lease boss ) the other 2 rooms had bunk beds 4 person stack on 3 sides of the rooms (=24 people in 2 rooms ) and 2 bath rooms) of course 1 private master bath for lease boss

The top bunks where probably 100 degrees no covers needed
                              Bottom was freezing cold
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

When I was younger, I have slept on many a cold wet bank and boats overnight while ducking hunting public land to get our spot all those years. Neoprene waders, good waterproof jackets and facemasks kept a fella warm and provided some cushion so we could nap before we got to watch the spotlight armada show up 30 minutes before shooting time....especially opening mornings. What a beat down those days were for flying livers but I sure miss the camaraderie and the action..

After reading some of yall's stories, I have to commend yall on on your dedication to doing whatever you were doing. No way in hell would I do some of that stuff now and I know I wasn't ever thrilled about doing it when I was younger.....LOL. But you had to do what you had to do back then. My OCD has me constantly dreaming up ways to make our lease camp and my blinds more comfortable and convenient for us all...I don't mind saying I like being comfortable these days..
                                Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X