Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Meredith 2014

Anybody else going up there this year? Going to try and get up there weekend after thanksgiving with a buddy. But will see how the cards fall. Haven't killed anything yet in 3 years of going up there but have seen deer every time and honestly should have killed one last year.

I'm headed up there around the 20th of October, the rut should be getting underway. Any advice on hunting Meredith.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD1951 View Post
      I'm headed up there around the 20th of October, the rut should be getting underway. Any advice on hunting Meredith.
      Bring binos and good boots.

Not 100% sure but pretty positive the rut up there isn't until late November to mid December.

Comment

Rut= Thanksgiving in the panhandle, by dec 11th if its not in full swing, you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Bring binos and good boots.

Not 100% sure but pretty positive the rut up there isn't until late November to mid December.
          Well that stinks, but I will make the best of it that I can because I dang sure am not going bowhunting during rifle season on public land. I've already survived a couple different combat zones and I'm not sure I'm ready to have bullets whizzing by me again especially while hunting deer.

Comment

Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Well that stinks, but I will make the best of it that I can because I dang sure am not going bowhunting during rifle season on public land. I've already survived a couple different combat zones and I'm not sure I'm ready to have bullets whizzing by me again especially while hunting deer.
              Best week to go for bow is last week of October. Saw a ton of Mule does but no bucks two years ago. I went opening weekend though. Wish I had gone later.

Nice maps here:

We hunted the north west side.

Comment

I lived in Fritch for a couple years and me and a buddy killed several whitetails out of there. Never could quite catch up to a mule deer buck. Actually, I saw a monster at Mcbride, it was just the day after mule deer season closed. We hunted Mullinaw and Mcbride mainly. Every now and then we would venture over to Rosita.

Comment

If ya go, take a pack. Way easier to pack a deer out of those canyons than dragging it out. Got this muley there last year. And a nice 8 pt whitetail 2 years prior to that.

Prepare for a lot of orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                    If ya go, take a pack. Way easier to pack a deer out of those canyons than dragging it out. Got this muley there last year. And a nice 8 pt whitetail 2 years prior to that.

Prepare for a lot of orange.

Yessir. I bought one after the first deer I killed there.

Comment

I grew up hunting Muleys in CO so I'm well prepared and versed in packing your deer out as well as having good binos and boots. I was tempted to go the last week of Oct but they have a special youth season the 25th and 26th and am not sure about going after a weekend of gun hunting, what do y'all think is it worth taking a chance on going right after a gun weekend?

Comment

I grew up hunting Muleys in CO so I'm well prepared and versed in packing your deer out as well as having good binos and boots. I was tempted to go the last week of Oct but they have a special youth season the 25th and 26th and am not sure about going after a weekend of gun hunting, what do y'all think is it worth taking a chance on going right after a gun weekend?
                        Heck I am going up during guns season, and I went up during gun season last year saw nary a soul. I aint scared.

Comment

Heck I am going up during guns season, and I went up during gun season last year saw nary a soul. I aint scared.

Yep. I hunted out there A LOT when I lived up there and you just had to get away from the road, much like all public land.

Comment

I'll probably go that next to last week in October. That place is huge and like others have said, if you walk a little ways from one of the access points you're liable not to see a soul. That time of year the mosquitos are god awful if the conditions are right so be ready for that as well.

They've had quite a bit of rain that way this year so I expect it to be a little more grown up and maybe that will help the quality of deer too. Everything out there has a sticker, thorn or stinger on it, and if it's not one of those it's a sharp rock.

I saw deer every day I was out there last year, I never got any eyes on any monster mulies but got within 50 yards of a 2x2 one morning, the whitetails tend to hang closer to the Canadian and any river bottom areas. The office will mail you a map if you contact them. Get you a map with the access points, study google earth and go after it.

Comment

I will be up there on the 24th thru the 27th of Oct. My son and I will be way up in the canyons hunting muledeer! But if a nice whitetail shows it self he will work also!

Comment

Working...
                              X