Mounting optics-Loctite Thread Locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting optics-Loctite Thread Locker

On optic mounting threads do y'all use any type of thread locker on the screws? Or just torque them down good? Always (maybe overly) concerned about over tightening mounting hardware on scopes.
    And of course I'm talking a low strength loctite. Don't wanna leave the scope on forever...

I shoot a .300 win mag and I use locktite or the scope will come loose. I've never had a problem on the 30-06's that we have but I don't see it hurting. Nothing worse than having a scope come loose while in the field.

Comment

The bases get blue loctite and torqued to spec. Then I let the loctite fully cure prior to shooting, I like to give it a week.

I use higher end rings (Badger / Nightforce) and just torque them to spec without loctite. No problems up to a hot 30.06.

Comment

Blue Loctite, like a boss

Comment

Originally posted by jmack82 View Post
          I shoot a .300 win mag and I use locktite or the scope will come loose. I've never had a problem on the 30-06's that we have but I don't see it hurting. Nothing worse than having a scope come loose while in the field.
          Originally posted by MCBN View Post
          The bases get blue loctite and torqued to spec. Then I let the loctite fully cure prior to shooting, I like to give it a week.

I use higher end rings (Badger / Nightforce) and just torque them to spec without loctite. No problems up to a hot 30.06.
          I don't have a torque screwdriver but may get one. A man can never have too many tools!! At least that what my wife said...

Comment

I don't have an issue with using it on the bases but I never use it on the scope rings. I guess with the bigger bore magnums it would make sense maybe.

Comment

I just use it on the rings myself with the .300 but the base wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Comment

I use it on all screws and a torque driver

Comment

I use it on the bases only. Then torque everything to specs.

Comment

Blue Loctite

Comment

I never did but a buddy suggested clear finger nail polish. I swapped scopes on my 08 earlier in the week and went ahead and used some. I doubt it matters in this case either way but I suppose it can't hurt.

Comment

I was thinking purple, not blue...

Comment

Blue loctite on the scope base action screws then torque to spec, blue loctite on the ring base screws and toque to spec. No loctite on the ring screws just tourqed to spec. This has worked on everything up to .223 all the way up to the big 300 RUM and .444 Marlin.

Comment

I always loctite screws on rings and bases.

Comment

The only ones that they have used loctite on were the ones that came with the screws precoated. The 300 mag doesn't have it and the screws haven't loosened. They are Burris rings and bases.

Comment

Working...
                              X