200 Inch Plus Bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    It’s not the height of the fence that ruins it for me it is the breeding. The science projects don’t get a second look from me.

agreed

Comment

Here is my humble opinion. I hunt low fence. I could hunt high fence if I wanted but it is not my deal. The rancher we lease from also has a high fence pasture. A small high fence place is just shooting a deer. A big high fence place may still be hunting but the deer available are often different. Take the pictures that Encinal post. I will probably never see a low fence deer that big regardless of my hunting skills. They just rarely exist in the wild. I am not knocking Encinal. I love his posts. I am also friends with Tuco. I am more impressed by a 150 inch low fence deer that I am a 300 inch high fence place regardless of how big the places are. It is about opportunity. If you are on a high fence place you should be getting the chance at notably bigger deer than the average hunter. If not you are on the wrong high fence place. I mean why would you spend the money to high fence a place or the extra money to least a high fence place if you thought your chances at a big deer were the same. You spend the money because you know you can go shoot a bigger deer than you could in a low fence situation. I see some post go sideways because someone ask if it was high fence. If it is no big deal I am not sure why the high fence people tend to get their panties in a wad. If you are not sensitive to it why not just say yes and move along? I also think 99% of the friction would disappear if people would simply put low fence or high fence in the initial post. Once again I don't care how you legally hunt. It is your decision and not mine. simply have more respect for a low fence deer than a high fence deer regardless of size.

-john

Comment

I knew a guy who spent some serious money on some breeder bucks. Set them loose in his high fence ranch and was severely disappointed in their racks over the years.
        Put them on natural feed and even well bred genetics will not grow that kind of bone.

Gary

Comment

200 Inch Plus Bucks?

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Anyone else numb to them? I see 15 killed a day on my Facebook timeline, and I pass them like a Fat Kid going by Lettuce looking for a snickers....

Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad I've got no issue with someone killing a big deer they paid for like they ordered a Big Mac from Micky D's. There are just so many killed these days people have come to think this is the norm...

If your deer isn't a 2 Hundy High or Low fence they don't get a second look...

Guess I'm Old School... I still enjoy looking at Native deer, high or low fence... and don't care if they score 110...

100% native low fence!! [emoji16]

The deer breeding industry is interesting to me because it shows the potential these deer have. It just seems like it’s making it harder to fill spots on leases when guys want to see the “big deer”, you show them some 150s and they think it’s junk.

There are so many lines in the sand for people. Feeders, no feeders, high fence, ranches that claim to be LF, but are really just a pasture inside a bigger HF ranch, DMP, ranch restocking with “native” genetics, full breeding ops... it’s hard to tell what’s real anymore.

They all help to grow bigger deer but everything is fuzzy. All you can do is your own thing and laugh when people ask why you’re so excited about a 160” native 9 point.

Makes it easier to know who you want to hunt with though too I guess when all someone cares about is inches
          Last edited by kyle1974; 12-10-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            It’s also always bothers me that people are lazy lumping all HF together.

Those of us that have kept it native, and done things the hard way, preserving the natural Genetics are getting thrown into the same bucket as deer releasers.

Luckily that’s shifting more and more as folks get more educated, but man. Getting hate you didn’t earn isn’t much fun.
            I will admit that in the early days this is exactly how I perceived all HF hunting. Then I was educated that alot of people kept the natural genetics. How come you have not posted pics in a long time?

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
              I think we need to support everyone that hunts, and not look down on people who hunt different than we do. Some bow hunters think gun hunters are cheating, hunting is a dying sport, let's keep it going as long as we can. So if you like to hunt behind a fence, I hope you kill a giant!
              Right now this 9yo East Texas 8pt is priceless to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              I have couple 3 year old Spike's I'll trade you for that tough old [emoji1662]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                So when someone posts a huge non-typical and says it's LF does anyone buy what they're selling?

Is it just coincidence that bucks have gotten much larger of LF properties at the same time these HF breeding places grew out of control?
                I tend to believe someone when they say low fence. HF hunting is so popular in Texas I don't think most of the people have any trouble telling the truth about where they shot it.

As far as the carrot question above, give me the heirloom. You'll have a hard time finding someone who has had garden fresh vegetables tell you the ones from the store taste better.

As far as where people hunt, I don't care. My problem with the breeding is it has watered down the accomplishment of just killing a mature deer. You see it in most of the threads when someone shoots a deer, "It's not my biggest", "shot this cull", "got a management buck". People feel like they have to quantify why they shot a deer to fit in with people on social media who are paying to kill livestock. It is sad.
                Last edited by adam_p; 12-10-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

These threads normally go to he!! in a hand basket. Personally have numbed to big deer as well and skim past the million kill pics splattering my Facebook wall. Mostly because they don’t interest me. 10-15 years ago when high fence animals were busting at the seems, I really did enjoy them. Then I realized that I wasn’t always hunting - success rates were 100%, but I didn’t care, it was fun. When it became not fun, is when I lost interest in it. I don’t judge, because I also enjoyed it. Simply put - I just would rather hunt out west in big country. When I get to the age we’re out west is impossible, I will revert back.

Comment

High fence, Low fence, It doesn't make much difference to a poor man. I can't afford to hunt where the Big'un are anyway. As long as my Freezer is full of sausage and I get to send time in the woods with my kids that's all that matters to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      It’s also always bothers me that people are lazy lumping all HF together.

Those of us that have kept it native, and done things the hard way, preserving the natural Genetics are getting thrown into the same bucket as deer releasers.

Luckily that’s shifting more and more as folks get more educated, but man. Getting hate you didn’t earn isn’t much fun.

This right here. There is a huge difference between putting up a high fence place and managing native genetics to get the best deer possible over years and years of management vs putting a high fence up and kicking out a bunch of test tube deer to stock the place up.

Just my opinion

Comment

Don’t have a problem with people that shoot 200 plus deer whether it’s hf or lo. I would shoot a deer like that given the chance, but I would never pay for the opportunity. My biggest was 172 low fence and that was a great trophy for me. We have a high fence hill country lease but don’t have the genetically enhanced deer. Most are native deer which we do feed protein. We have exotics on the ranch so the need for high fence. Personally I enjoy looking at big native whitetail more than the scientifically raised deer., but they do get my interest. To each his own.

Comment

like this guy

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          I still like big deer.

I don't care if they live in a high fence.

I don't care if their parents were born in a pen.

I don't care if they have a hole in their ear.

I still like low fence deer.

I like sitting at deer camp,
                          sleeping in fancy lodges,
                          sitting on the bank of a tank,
                          dove hunting,
                          getting up early,
                          seeing the sun rise,
                          watching the sun set,
                          staying up later than I should,
                          drinking bourbon,
                          drinking beer,
                          chasing quail,
                          catching bass,
                          napping on the couch between hunts,
                          eating steaks outside,
                          facebooking from a deer stand,
                          watching a kid kill their first or tenth deer,
                          chasing deer with dogs,
                          trailing deer with dogs,
                          watching a friend see deer they've never seen,
                          taking wounded veterans hunting,
                          telling big lies,
                          talking ****,
                          sharing deer pictures,
                          guessing scores and age,
                          and hearing other people's stories.

I'm not going to let social media, or what someone else thinks, or what a deer scores ruin what I love.

best attitude ever. kill the thread

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                            Here is my humble opinion. I hunt low fence. I could hunt high fence if I wanted but it is not my deal. The rancher we lease from also has a high fence pasture. A small high fence place is just shooting a deer. A big high fence place may still be hunting but the deer available are often different. Take the pictures that Encinal post. I will probably never see a low fence deer that big regardless of my hunting skills. They just rarely exist in the wild. I am not knocking Encinal. I love his posts. I am also friends with Tuco. I am more impressed by a 150 inch low fence deer that I am a 300 inch high fence place regardless of how big the places are. It is about opportunity. If you are on a high fence place you should be getting the chance at notably bigger deer than the average hunter. If not you are on the wrong high fence place. I mean why would you spend the money to high fence a place or the extra money to least a high fence place if you thought your chances at a big deer were the same. You spend the money because you know you can go shoot a bigger deer than you could in a low fence situation. I see some post go sideways because someone ask if it was high fence. If it is no big deal I am not sure why the high fence people tend to get their panties in a wad. If you are not sensitive to it why not just say yes and move along? I also think 99% of the friction would disappear if people would simply put low fence or high fence in the initial post. Once again I don't care how you legally hunt. It is your decision and not mine. simply have more respect for a low fence deer than a high fence deer regardless of size.

-john

You made a lot of great solid points.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              I have couple 3 year old Spike's I'll trade you for that tough old [emoji1662]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                              I will let you have him for free! Come help me kill him! With a bow of course, gun hunters cheat.[emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                                I still like big deer.

I don't care if they live in a high fence.

I don't care if their parents were born in a pen.

I don't care if they have a hole in their ear.

I still like low fence deer.

I like sitting at deer camp,
                                sleeping in fancy lodges,
                                sitting on the bank of a tank,
                                dove hunting,
                                getting up early,
                                seeing the sun rise,
                                watching the sun set,
                                staying up later than I should,
                                drinking bourbon,
                                drinking beer,
                                chasing quail,
                                catching bass,
                                napping on the couch between hunts,
                                eating steaks outside,
                                facebooking from a deer stand,
                                watching a kid kill their first or tenth deer,
                                chasing deer with dogs,
                                trailing deer with dogs,
                                watching a friend see deer they've never seen,
                                taking wounded veterans hunting,
                                telling big lies,
                                talking ****,
                                sharing deer pictures,
                                guessing scores and age,
                                and hearing other people's stories.

I'm not going to let social media, or what someone else thinks, or what a deer scores ruin what I love.

This sums it up for me as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X