BBQ Season is Upon Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Season is Upon Us

Got a question for all you "professional" brisket cookers out there.

I've always bought whole briskets and trimmed a little of the fat away, seasoned it up.... blah blah blah.... and have done fairly well w/ them.

Im just curious:
    Do yall buy whole briskets or trimmed briskets? For those that buy whole briskets do you trim it? If you trim it do you just trim the hard fat or do you separate the point of the brisket from the flat and just cook the flat.

I'm not looking for tips on cooking or opinions on fat up or fat down, to wrap or not to wrap, oak/mesquite/pecan/hickory/cedar/pine/bodark/chinaberry wood , just want to see what yall buy and how you prepare (trim) it.

Whole brisket and don't trim it before you cook it. After you have cooked it trim it as you please.

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
      Whole brisket and don't trim it before you cook it. After you have cooked it trim it as you please.
      What he said.

Comment

I generally trim down to 3/4-1" fat all the way around. Season over night and then cook for around 8-10 hours depending on brisket.

Sop is a whole nother ball game all together.

Comment

bbq season? ***? LOL

Comment

what about the h2o between the meat and heat?

Comment

I buy whole briskets and trim off fat to leave a 1/2" - 1/4" layer. No need to spend the time to heat all that fat to temp. I have cooked or been a part of cooking literally hundreds of briskets for competitions and personal use and seen it done a lot of different ways and trimming produces the most consistent product.

I have cooked them with out being trimmed many times and you can get a good result, especially if it's a small brisket, but if you are looking for the kind of consistency that you want for competition I think you need to trim.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                Sop is a whole nother ball game all together.
                Good call... Forgot to add sop to my list of controversial brisket topics

Originally posted by JTS View Post
                bbq season? ***? LOL
                Spring time, picnics, the only big cookoff i cook in any more.... I dont know it sounded catchy

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                what about the h2o between the meat and heat?
                I've never tried this, but it should probably be added to the list above!

Comment

Working...
                X