Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question For Men About Counseling - Would A New Setting Change Your Willingness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a great idea. I think the outdoor setting would help eliminate the stigma many people associate with going to a counseling office, that then leads them to choose pride over help.

Comment

sure

Comment

Unless you are struggling with addiction, a couple of beers helps too.

Comment

Take a look at High Plains Waterfowl.

A friend of mine, Brian Womack, started this ministry on the same concept...that many outdoorsmen need a different setting to open up to ministry than the typical church setting. The concept has worked well for Brian to reach many guys that wouldn't normally be open to discussing personal matters. If you are interested in discussing it further, give Brian a call. He'd be glad to talk with you about it.

Comment

Men in general, don't like talking about their feelings. I like it that everyone is supporting the OP, but outdoor counciling is not going to increase the amount of men willing to share their feeling. It may be a better and more comfortable place, but it's not going to bring the men out in drives.

Comment

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd like to go counseling with you.

Let's make sure it's on either a rising or falling tide.

Comment

I think the best "shrink couch" is the front seat of a truck going down the road. Don't know if that helps what you are asking about.

Comment

Great idea and good luck, I think you are onto something. God Bless

Comment

I like the 'concept'. Outdoorsy guys are more apt to be at ease and willing to open up in that environment.
                      However, the biggest hurdle in counseling most men is for them to acknowledge that they have the need and could benefit from it. By the time they step up to seek/accept counseling, the environment may not be that impactful.
                      I could really see a great opportunity to train up guys (laymen) to be 'eyes and ears' and be ready to really step into the lives of those guys they already hunt/fish/camp, etc. with. They have the relationships, they have the credibility, they have the opportunity - train them with some tools to help their friends open up and talk about issues beyond normal campfire talk. Real friendships versus most of the surface relationships we have.
                      Also, I could see 'group' outings that could be beneficial. Open up a weekend hunt/fish opportunity for guys struggling with certain areas of their lives. Do 'guy things' in the woods. Get some bonding going and have campfire sessions to soften them up.
                      As for 'one-on-one', it is hard for me to see how the logistics would work. Again, if the guy is willing to admit his need, he is probably willing to sit in an office and talk. If not, you have to go to him; you have to arrange the details of a hunting/fishing trip; you have to gain credibility; etc.
                      Here I am violating a recent 'leadership training' warning that was given: When presented with a new or unusual idea, rather than 'raining on it' with 'HOW?', encourage it with 'WOW!'
                      So, prayers for you and your ministry! Go do great things for the Kingdom!

Comment

I think you have a great idea here. Just like all beings, human and animal alike, I think the healing begins at the basic level of existence and for men, that's in a gathering and providing setting at the instinctual level ....which would be the outdoors. Hope you're able to push this idea forward.

Comment

Thank you guys for your input. My real desire would be for this to be a fully non-profit setup, so that there's no roadblocks financially for anyone, and no insurance nightmares. I'm fully aware that non-profit would require significant fundraising and donation, but things like that are just details when it comes to something God calls you to do! This would be a big time faith step, and there are TONS of up-front costs (licensing, resources, etc.) , but I'm feeling more strongly about this every day. Those things will work themselves out if I'm supposed to take this step.

The meeting where I originally shared this idea with my cousin took place years ago at a restaurant in Rockport. That very spot was completely devastated by Harvey, so it's ignited my passion a bit more now.

Comment

I think its a great idea and one I've thought about myself.

Comment

Would you have been more willing to talk to someone in an outdoor setting, with a less formal conversation and more active (hunting/fishing) environment?
                              This is the core of our No Barriers Warriors expeditions. As guides we are not trained counselors but rather let the mountain to the teaching and are there to set up discussions that allow our Veteran participants to open up and talk about things they haven't or wouldn't before.

Comment

Great idea... Prayers up.

Comment

Working...
                                X