Do we really want American jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we really want American jobs?

There are always threads asking about pricing of products or services and invariably folks poo poo the price as a rip off, too much, can do it yourself for 1/2 that, you get my drift. It seems to me we want American jobs but those Americans don't get to make a decent living.

Just an observation.

Those that do this have never worked like some of us have and had to figure in expenses and everything associated with owning your own business and bidding out a job. Way more to it than just looking at it with a picture and saying "I will do it for this much." They won't last long.

Comment

I learned long ago that I value quality work more than saving a little money. I would rather pay a qualified roofer, carpenter, etc., and have it done right the first time. I agree Americans (or anybody really) deserves to make decent living. However when I get 3 estimates and one is more than double the other 2, and all 3 have excellent reputations, it obvious one is trying to stick it to me lol. That is why I always get multiple estimates, to weed out the price gougers.

I used to do motorcycle mechanics on the side and many times people would bring their bike to me and tell me what it should cost. I always replied if you know what it should cost you should probably do it yourself. Because they were almost always asking for the work to be done less than the parts would even cost me LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        Those that do this have never worked like some of us have and had to figure in expenses and everything associated with owning your own business and bidding out a job. Way more to it than just looking at it with a picture and saying "I will do it for this much." They won't last long.
        Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
        I learned long ago that I value quality work more than saving a little money. I would rather pay a qualified roofer, carpenter, etc., and have it done right the first time. I agree Americans (or anybody really) deserves to make decent living. However when I get 3 estimates and one is more than double the other 2, and all 3 have excellent reputations, it obvious one is trying to stick it to me lol. That is why I always get multiple estimates, to weed out the price gougers.

I used to do motorcycle mechanics on the side and many times people would bring their bike to me and tell me what it should cost. I always replied if you know what it should cost you should probably do it yourself. Because they were almost always asking for the work to be done less than the parts would even cost me LOL.
        Thanks for adding to the discussion gentlemen. Doug truer words..., well you know the rest. I also agree on the 3 bids. No one should be ripped off in the process.

Comment

We want unicorn economics. That is to say we want American jobs at American wages, but products priced at a rate based on foreign wages

Comment

I have some a/c window units from the 60's and 70's that are still running cold as hell , all made in USA !
            All the new units foreign made bought in last few years are broken again pure junk !!

Comment

I buy American when I can and take pride in those products. Some stuff is better from other countries unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post

What would you do if you had two high bids but really close to each other and one super low bid? Would you throw the super low bid out?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  What would you do if you had two high bids but really close to each other and one super low bid? Would you throw the super low bid out?
                  If I knew none of the bidders or their reputations I probably would. I would be asking for references though as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                    If I knew none of the bidders or their reputations I probably would. I would be asking for references though as well.
                    This!

Comment

Sometimes cheap ain't good
                      Sometimes good ain't cheap
                      Buy American when possible

Comment

I recently heard a news story that some state(I was busy so only heard part of the story) wanted to subsidize low paying jobs. The example given was that a person earning 20K a year would get 12K in subsidizes for a total of 32K earned... I was thinking that's what welfare did already. Maybe if we only subsidize people who actually work, more lazy arse peeps would get a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          We want unicorn economics. That is to say we want American jobs at American wages, but products priced at a rate based on foreign wages
                          I disagree. At least I don't mind paying the extra money. I buy as much American as i can clothes, boots, local food etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            I actually DO agree.........thus the reason that Walmart/Sam's is the largest retailer in the world! I remember just in the 90's when Walmart had "smiley face" signs all over the stores that read Made in the USA! I probably go to Walmart 8 or so times per year...(deer season late night runs in Fberg)....not because of what I mentioned above..........purely because there service is subpar at best. That is part of my personal value proposition. Until so-called dyed in the wool Americans decide that the choices they are making have backlash........oh well I digress! Congrats to the Walton family for their financial success!

Comment

No clue what is going on, buy every job on the local roadways is done by Mexican people.

Comment

Working...
                              X