Poultry Marinade That You Probably Already Have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poultry Marinade That You Probably Already Have

This doesn't qualify as a recipe... more of a tip. I discovered this by accident immediately after a dove hunt. I had only killed a few and wanted to throw the fresh dove breasts on the grill for lunch. I usually do the familiar jalapeno in the middle, wrap with bacon and stick with a toothpick trick. Only this time, I was fresh out of both peppers and bacon.

I'm looking at the open refrigerator thinking, "I REALLY don't feel like going to the store." Then I notice an almost empty jar of jalapeno slices and I think, "It's not really the pepper, but the "juice" that marinates the breast, right?" So the next thing I know, I'm marinating dove breasts in jalapeno "juice" (jalapeno flavored vinagar really).

When they were sufficiently marinated, (it didn't take long because i was using a marinating dish that I bought for my vacuum sealer) I layed the breasts on a plate and sprayed them lightly with Pam cooking spray. My logic was that the bacon was mostly for grease to keep the breasts from drying out and this should do the same thing. Now, noticing that I have a nice coat of "stick'em" on the doves, I decided to sprinkle on some seasoning. I used some poultry rub and some Mrs. Dash. Then I grilled them up. The result was the best dove I've EVER eaten, even better than the jalapeno in the middle and wrapped in bacon trick!

From that point forward, I have been saving all my "jalapeno juice" for poultry marinade. We eat a lot of jalapeno slices at my house. Now, instead of throwing out the juice, I pour it up into a sealed plastic container that stays in my refrigerator ready to go. I try to pour only the clear juice off the top, throwing away the jalapeno "settlings" at the bottom of the jar.

I've found that it works really good on chicken. Sometimes I even inject it into the chicken. The chicken stays VERY moist and juicy. The jalapeno flavor is not as strong as you might think once it cooks; the meat is not "hot," just flavorful. You can use it on any poultry... dove, chicken, turkey, cornish hen, whatever.

Anyway, I thought I would share this tip in case anyone has been throwing out their jalapeno flavored poultry marinade!
    Last edited by Snakelover; 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM.

thanks.. that is a great way to recycle that juice.. as a matter of fact i have a half gallon jar that is about empty and can't to use on..

Comment

Excellent post, Snake...I'm gonna try this! Thanks.

Comment

I think I'm just gonna show up one night at David's house for dinner!
        Sounds like you've always got something good a cookin'!

Todd

Comment

ttt for David's marinade since dove season is coming up...save that jalapeno juice!

Comment

Dang snake, thanks for the tip. Gonna definitely try this out.

Comment

oh yeah! you should try soakin your chicken in it then fryin it

Comment

Working...
              X