Questions on a Sigma f2.8 17-70mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on a Sigma f2.8 17-70mm

Does anyone have one? If so, what are your thoughts on this lens?

Haven't had that one, but I've sworn off Sigma after two lenses of theirs (120-400mm) that were not focusing for sharp images. I do have a Tokina 16-35mm 2.8 that I absolutely love though...

Comment

First, I don't have the lens. That's a relatively wide range of focal length and that convenience can come with some trade offs. B&H lists the aperture at f/2.8-4. The range means it's a variable aperture zoom lens. It's going to be max f/2.8 at 17mm, but as you zoom closer to 70mm, your biggest aperture is going to be f/4.0. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for, but at 70mm, f/4 is not particularly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        First, I don't have the lens. That's a relatively wide range of focal length and that convenience can come with some trade offs. B&H lists the aperture at f/2.8-4. The range means it's a variable aperture zoom lens. It's going to be max f/2.8 at 17mm, but as you zoom closer to 70mm, your biggest aperture is going to be f/4.0. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for, but at 70mm, f/4 is not particularly fast.

I think I am fine with the variable aperture. It's uses will be for long exposure and day time portraits. I have tried to like my 18-55 kit lens. But after multiple failed attempts of the lightening and trying to get milky way photos the last couple of weeks, I am done with it. The sharpness is just not there.

Comment

Oops
          Last edited by sportsman; 03-25-2016, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsman View Post
            I think I am fine with the variable aperture. It's uses will be for long exposure and day time portraits. I have tried to like my 18-55 kit lens. But after multiple failed attempts of the lightening and trying to get milky way photos the last couple of weeks, I am done with it. The sharpness is just not there.
            I see. Might work well for you then. One thing you can do (if you haven't already) is do a Flickr search for "Sigma 17-70mm" and look at some photos people have taken with that lens.

If I linked it right... https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma%2017-70mm

Comment

You can also do more specific searches like, "sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 portrait"...

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...8-4%20portrait

Just a good way to get an idea if the lens will meet your expectations for sharpness, bokeh, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                You can also do more specific searches like, "sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 portrait"...

Just a good way to get an idea if the lens will meet your expectations for sharpness, bokeh, etc.

Good luck!
                Thanks, some of those are pretty sharp. Maybe I will keep looking. Do you have a lens in mind knowing what I plan to use it for now?

Ideally, I would like it to go close to 70mm on the top end as that is where my Canon f4L IS 70-200 starts. But primarily I want the low side to be 17 or lower but also have a good lens for portraits.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsman View Post
                  Thanks, some of those are pretty sharp. Maybe I will keep looking. Do you have a lens in mind knowing what I plan to use it for now?

Ideally, I would like it to go close to 70mm on the top end as that is where my Canon f4L IS 70-200 starts. But primarily I want the low side to be 17 or lower but also have a good lens for portraits.
                  I don't really have anything in mind for you. I love the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, but it's more expensive. I'm shooting a full frame camera and haven't been bitten by the wide angle bug. So 24mm is the shortest focal length I normally use.

Comment

Working...
                  X