Transfering Video to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfering Video to PC

When I got my Video Camera, they said the usb is my Firewire. Then said I need a firewire port. Installed the port and the connections are not the same. Do I need a seperate Firewire??????? One that goes into the camera and has the correct end for the port???? Help Please.

Firewire and USB are two different types of connections. If you are connecting to a Firewire port, then you will need a Firewire cord with the correct fitting for your camera. They are easy to find at your local computer store.

Comment

Is it mandatory I get one or will the usb that comes with the camera work???

Comment

What camera and editing software are you using?

Comment

JVC 370 mini DV and Window Movie maker

Comment

You can use a USB cable for your USB port if you need to, but the transfer rate of USB is slower than Firewire.

Comment

Rob, your camera likely came with a USB cable. You need to have a firewire cable, also called ieee1394, i-link(sony) or whatever proprietary name JVC may have given yours. It is different than the USB cable.

First, though, you need to figure out what kind of firewire (ieee1394) port your computer has. If it's a laptop, it's likely a 4 pin. If an add-on to your desktop, then probably 6 pin. Your camera's firewire port is likely a 4 pin. Get the appropriate cable (4-pin to 6-pin, or 4-pin to 4-pin) for your setup.

Michael
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks a ton guy's! Time to go back to Best Buy!

Comment

Well said Boss!

Comment

I bougth a fire wire card(installed myself) and cable that matched my camera input at Best Buy. The critical thing is the input on your camera. I want to say its either 4 or 6 pin depending on brand. I don't think you can transfer digital video through a USB port can you? Anyway, fire wire is the way to go.

Comment

Jason you can transfer through USB but it's like Peyton said, slow transfer rate.

Comment

Even if you can make the USB cable work, you'll be a lot happier with a firewire connection. Transfer is faster and seems to be more reliable. For some reason, some editing software just won't recognize a USB connection.

Trailboss

Comment

I got a firewire....they guy tried to seel me on that was 20' long! I said why in the he!! would I need one that long, picked up the 6' that was $10 cheaper and said thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X