No announcement yet.

Why I’m leaving slicktrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my 1st bow kill on my 1st bow hunt. I was using slick trick magnum 100"s Shot was a little high and forward, can you nervous LOL. She went 20 yards and piled up. Lots of blood. The arrow actually hit the shoulder bone and cut through and was dragged out of the side when she ran through a thicket.

Comment

This was my 1st bow kill on my 1st bow hunt. Slick Trick Magnums 100"s 20 yards. I hit high and forward can you say nervous. The arrow cut through part of the shoulder bone and was hanging out the other side. She drug the arrow out when she ran through a thicket. Piled up about 25 yards from where I shot her. I still use the same set up today. That is the exit wound.
      Attached Files

Comment

im always a little baffled by these broad head strings. I don't pick a broad head based on what it will do to an animal if i make the perfect shot, i pick a broad head that will give me the most advantage when i make a marginal shot.
        lot's of folks blaming the op here for a bad shot, which if that is the deer that he shot in the pic it wasn't the perfect shot but i know there are several broad heads out there that would have made that shot fatal.

Comment

Here is my opinion on hunting with a bow/arrow/broadhead combo.

Get a bow that you love to shoot, shoot it a bunch. Get arrows that are matched to your specs from a bow and pick some BH's that are matched to what you are going to hunt. In TX that fits 99.99% of any head on the market. Make sure everything is tuned to the MAX.

Become very comfortable and confident in your ability to use that combination anywhere at anytime.

If you have that confidence in your equipment and your ability to use that equipment, then when an animal comes into range all you are asking for is a shot opportunity as you know you can make that shot.

If you do not get the bow tuned to the max and you do not have that confidence in your ability to use that equipment, when an animal walks in, you may be thinking, "can I make that shot or a shot when it presents itself?" If this is the case, you could be in for a miss or a poor shot resulting in a lost animal.

The proper equipment fit to your specs and tuned to the MAX including the bow and everything attached to that bow, the release, arrows and broadhead and your ability to use that equipment when needed is the most important aspect to bow hunting.

It does not mater what bow, accessories or broadhead you use as long as it matches what I said above.

Sometimes you will make a bad shot and loose an animal, but that is bowhunting. If a person, in my 40+ year opinion of doing this, says they have never lost an animal, then I say they have not shot at a lot of animals or are telling a big fib! Just my opinion.

Flame me if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Mike, I'm still shooting all those Razor tricks I bought from you before the sell-out. Are they still not making razor tricks?? Since Snuffer was sold out, they went south, that Razor Trick is the best head I've found to replace them... Can you get replacement blades?
            Charlie. Unfortunately we do not. If they are not nicked up too bad or bent hit them with one of the little carbide sharpeners and them leather strop them with some Yellowstone stropping compound on the strop. You can put a super sharp edge on ST blades with this combo. I use a little clamp from Home Depot to hold the blade.

Look at post #23 here:

Comment

Well bye.......

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Charlie. Unfortunately we do not. If they are not nicked up too bad or bent hit them with one of the little carbide sharpeners and them leather strop them with some Yellowstone stropping compound on the strop. You can put a super sharp edge on ST blades with this combo. I use a little clamp from Home Depot to hold the blade.

Look at post #23 here:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...g+Slick+tricks
                Yea, Mike I sharpen them too. Even was able to straighten a bent ferrule.. Of course with all the floods last year, and so far this year... I may not need many this year!! At this rate, I've got plenty to last me for years!!

Comment

Got two packs in the mail this week!

Comment

Why I’m sticking with slick tricks[emoji51]

Entry

Exit through the rib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I still have some Slick tricks. Will shoot them, but after guiding for the past 8 years and seeing the giant holes that Rages and Kill zones and grim reapers make, there is no reason not to shoot them. As for my history with Slick tricks, I never got a good blood trail from the Magnums. So I swithed to the griz trick and started getting better blood trails. Still nothing like a rage or a kill zone.

As for the hole in the doe, it is a little off. But he clearly stated it was a little off. Had that been a rage or a Kill zone or a reaper, it would not have mattered. They just do too much damage. They make marginal shots way better. And in the event a dog is needed, there is plenty for the dog to go on. Slick tricks fly great, but so do the mechanicals. I do not see a reason not to use the mechanicals. If you shoot through mesh, then stick with a cut on contact. Any other application I would shoot a rage or Nap Killzone

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                        I still have some Slick tricks. Will shoot them, but after guiding for the past 8 years and seeing the giant holes that Rages and Kill zones and grim reapers make, there is no reason not to shoot them. As for my history with Slick tricks, I never got a good blood trail from the Magnums. So I swithed to the griz trick and started getting better blood trails. Still nothing like a rage or a kill zone.

As for the hole in the doe, it is a little off. But he clearly stated it was a little off. Had that been a rage or a Kill zone or a reaper, it would not have mattered. They just do too much damage. They make marginal shots way better. And in the event a dog is needed, there is plenty for the dog to go on. Slick tricks fly great, but so do the mechanicals. I do not see a reason not to use the mechanicals. If you shoot through mesh, then stick with a cut on contact. Any other application I would shoot a rage or Nap Killzone
                        Agree 100%. Makes marginal shots much better

Comment

Bruce. That is about my exact experience with Tricks.

We got plenty more Dan when you need some.

I have been selling Slick Tricks right here on TBH since 2000. 18 years running. When we started selling Tricks they were $20.00 for a three pack. I sent out many a pack to TBHers with no payment up front. I told them if they liked them to send me $20.00. If they didn't like them send them back. I never got a pack back. Gary Cooper (Slick Trick inventor) ran his business this way and taking after him....so did I. In all the years I had one guy that did not pay for his Tricks. Maybe he forgot......maybe not. I did not dun him, but I did not forget about it and who he is either.

Tracy and I keep more Slick Tricks on hand than any archery shop. We usually have $2500 to $3000 in Tricks at dealers cost in stock. We are a little low on inventory this year because of our move to Iowa. We just have not had time to really promote and pursue sales this year. I guess what I am saying is over the 18 years we have averaged about $5000 to $6000 in Slick Trick sales which comes to over $100,000 worth of Tricks mainly sold right here on TBH. I have NEVER had anyone say "I hate those Slick Tricks. I want my money back". Maybe someone felt that way but they sure did not tell us.

I am pretty sure that the guys that dislike them are not going to put us out of business and I know the guys that like them are not going to make us rich.

I do know that Slick Tricks are dang good heads that have stood the test of time.
                          Fantastic heads. IMO

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                            I have been selling Slick Tricks right here on TBH since 2000. 18 years running. When we started selling Tricks they were $20.00 for a three pack. I sent out many a pack to TBHers with no payment up front. I told them if they liked them to send me $20.00. If they didn't like them send them back. I never got a pack back. Gary Cooper (Slick Trick inventor) ran his business this way and taking after him....so did I. In all the years I had one guy that did not pay for his Tricks. Maybe he forgot......maybe not. I did not dun him, but I did not forget about it and who he is either.

Tracy and I keep more Slick Tricks on hand than any archery shop. We usually have $2500 to $3000 in Tricks at dealers cost in stock. We are a little low on inventory this year because of our move to Iowa. We just have not had time to really promote and pursue sales this year. I guess what I am saying is over the 18 years we have averaged about $5000 to $6000 in Slick Trick sales which comes to over $100,000 worth of Tricks mainly sold right here on TBH. I have NEVER had anyone say "I hate those Slick Tricks. I want my money back". Maybe someone felt that way but they sure did not tell us.

I am pretty sure that the guys that dislike them are not going to put us out of business and I know the guys that like them are not going to make us rich.

I do know that Slick Tricks are dang good heads that have stood the test of time.[/QUOTE]

How have the reviews been on the Slick trick Raptor trick2? Looks like it should accomplish the same goals of Slick trick. Durability is something that I would say Slick trick dominated the broadhead market. Can shot them through bricks. The mechanical looks pretty tough as well. Would be interested in shooting it through one of my 7 year old culls. Might stop into Hoffys today to see if they have some. If so i will give a report Sunday evening if i get a chance to use them.
                            Last edited by Krivoman; 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Bruce. That is about my exact experience with Tricks.

We got plenty more Dan when you need some.

I do know that Slick Tricks are dang good heads that have stood the test of time.

How have the reviews been on the Slick trick Raptor trick2? Looks like it should accomplish the same goals of Slick trick. Durability is something that I would say Slick trick dominated the broadhead market. Can shot them through bricks. The mechanical looks pretty tough as well. Would be interested in shooting it through one of my 7 year old culls. Might stop into Hoffys today to see if they have some. If so i will give a report Sunday evening if i get a chance to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X