2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
    Way to get it done on the opener. Was slow for me however. Only saw one yearling spike and a lone doe. Nice weather and wind though.
    Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Texfisher View Post
      Got this buck opening morning. I didn't have any pictures or history of him. He came in with at 7:30 with a 4 point. Broadside 20 yard shot and he went about 40 yards. Saturday morning was the only time I could hunt since I had to work today so I was pretty excited to get him.
      [ATTACH]816530[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]816529[/ATTACH]
      That is a good looking buck! Nice job on closing the deal. I'm just hoping to get a doe this week.

Comment

Question from the Push crew, would you take a 1.5 old spike or let him walk to see what he grows in to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet you will get a ton of opinions on this but I personally don't buy the once a spike always a spike. IMO if a year and a half deer has a small basket rack i would argue it may have better genetics than a year and a half old spike.......but with proper nutrition and time, i think you may be surprised on some deer's potential...even if it's first rack is a spike.
          Big disclaimer, I'm no expert but played one on TV one time.

great article:
          The Realtree Store is the best place to find all of your favorite products in your favorite Camo Patterns | Realtree the Best Camo Patterns World Wide.
          Last edited by kva393; 10-04-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

QDMA has done a lot of research on this, 1.5 year old spikes have grown to be 8 and 10 point deer at 4.5 and up. Culling should be done by age class first, then antler growth. Young deer are impacted greatly by environmental factors and the fudge factor is just too great to know their potential at that age.

Comment

That's why I passed on him this morning. Wanting to get some meat in the freezer. On a second note, anyone one know where to get firewood near Hugo?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                QDMA has done a lot of research on this, 1.5 year old spikes have grown to be 8 and 10 point deer at 4.5 and up. Culling should be done by age class first, then antler growth. Young deer are impacted greatly by environmental factors and the fudge factor is just too great to know their potential at that age.

This^. Allot of research done on this subject. I'd let them walk.

Comment

The date is off on the cam due to rain getting into the circuitry. This was on September 26. Thankfully I have it staked in well and he couldn't tip it all the way.

Comment

I wish these boys would come out to play in the daylight.

Comment

Heck, I wish I could just see one at night and know it was around, ha!

Comment

***** those bucks are great for that area.

Comment

Have a sure enough daddy coming in. I shot and lost a 160"+ last year and he is bigger than him!

Comment

Man this has been a great thread to read so far! It's been a while since I have been on here but thought now is as good a time as any.

We had a tough season last year on our place in daisy. We actually did not even take a buck off the place. It has paid off though. We are loaded up with good ones, and some of the same giants from years past,

Here's a few:

I missed opening day in Oklahoma for the first time in 10 years, it was for a good reason...

Look forward to following along with everyone this year! Ill be heading up for my first Oklahoma hunt this weekend.

Comment

Megatron?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                                Anyone been around Mcalester that can tell me what the acorn crop looks like this year?

The oaks on our place near antlers are all loaded. They were still green today but a few were starting to fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X