Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
jmw
Six Point

Hunt In: Where I can
Default Best snake shot in .22?

I just got on a lease in east Texas, and I was informed that I should invest in some snake boots (they're on the way) and carry some snake shot on me at all times. I plan on carrying my .22 Browning Buckmark with some snake shot in it. Will that type of ammo do any damage to the rifling in my pistol? Will it be able to cycle after each shot? Also, I'm not sure if I should go with the CCI version with the blue plastic cap on the end or the Federal version that is crimped like a shotgun shell. What do y'all use? Pros and cons of both? Being born a Yankee, this will be my first experience in heavy snake country. Thanks for your help.
jmw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Just backhand them. They'll go away.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, TX - Mills County

I've always used the ones made by CCI/Speer and always used them in a revolver, not a semiauto. I've always had good results with them, but you have to be close - within about 3 yards or so.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Any rat shot to the head works great.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

The danger is getting bit by the snakes you don't see. Once you see them, you can kill them (if that is your choice...and that is mine), you don't need any particular type of shot to kill them. A rock, stick, or stock of a rifle will do the trick.

I've never understood the need to carry a "snake gun." Once you spot the snake, it is easy to avoid it or kill it with whatever is available.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I actually shot a BIG rattler in south Texas with .38 rat shot, and had to shoot it several times to dispatch it. A regular .38 cartridge would have done much better.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Snake shot is junk. It doesn't mangle them up at all and you might only get a few holes in the snake because the pattern is so wide. You'll probably just make a big Diamondback mad at you. Best way to not get bit....Don't get close enough to hit it with anything.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
jmw
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I actually shot a BIG rattler in south Texas with .38 rat shot, and had to shoot it several times to dispatch it. A regular .38 cartridge would have done much better.
I'll have to double check with the lease manager, but I think he specified the only gun you can carry around the camp area has to be specifically for snakes. I have a .40 that I conceal carry, but I don't think I can carry that around the camp.

Thanks for all the tips so far.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
jmw
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Just backhand them. They'll go away.
I debated on this method as well.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Boomer57
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher Co.

.22 rat shot just tics them off, you would have to be within striking range to do any real damage.
Boomer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
BonesandArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South TX - Starr County

I have only tried two different brands of rat shot in my Buckmark and it wouldn't cycle either brand. The 2-3 rattlers I have killed with it only needed the first shot. Wear snake boots and you will feel invisible! I always put mine on at the gate and load the pistol at the same time. Deep South TX is covered in rattlers.
BonesandArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

22 shot doesn't have enough pellets unless you get within striking distance...go 38 or bigger for any real effect.

Best thing about the #12 shot is that it does not mess up the skin if you want to save it...the larger rounds are effective at safe ranges. 44 special & 45acp being the best.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #13
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesandArrow View Post
I have only tried two different brands of rat shot in my Buckmark and it wouldn't cycle either brand. The 2-3 rattlers I have killed with it only needed the first shot. Wear snake boots and you will feel invisible! I always put mine on at the gate and load the pistol at the same time. Deep South TX is covered in rattlers.
I don't think any brand of 22 rat shot will cycle thru a semi auto....at least I haven't found one....I've tried two different brands in three different 22 semiautomatic and they all just single shot. I would rather have a m a magazine full of LRHP ammo anyway.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #14
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
I'll have to double check with the lease manager, but I think he specified the only gun you can carry around the camp area has to be specifically for snakes. I have a .40 that I conceal carry, but I don't think I can carry that around the camp.

If it's just for around camp, just keep 3-4 shovels and hoes around for that. Leaning up against the camp house or a tree or whatever.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #15
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

It won't cycle in an auto. I have found that if you are not close, it will not kill a rat, at least not right now, and they run away and die later, stinking to high heaven. A .38/.357 is much more effective. You can buy shot cups for these, and load your own. Also you can use cardboard circles cut out with a sharpened empty hull and get more shot. I cut open a couple of shells and use 9 shot. Cheaper than buying a bag of shot. I want to try some in .44 mag.

Last edited by double bogey; 05-24-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 AM   #16
kry226
Ten Point

I use the CCI shells (I have both LR and WMR) in my Ruger Single Six and it has always worked flawlessly on the rattlers on my place in the Panhandle. Never needed more than one shot, but the always got at least a 2nd shot just for good measure.

Shots have always been outside of what I would consider striking distance. And I'm talking about some hawg leg Western Diamondbacks.

I really don't get the "You'll only make them mad," comments.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Get a Taurus Judge and put some .410 bird shot in it.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Watch where you walk, don't pick up anything off ground without kicking it 1st and definitely not let kids run loose on property w'o supervision.
I've used the cci's no problem but wouldnt work in semi auto, revolver only.
snake boots are always a good idea in the brush here in TEXAS.
Enjoy also unsure if you can carry a firearm during archery season.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #19
berettadave
Ten Point

Hunt In: In vain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
I use the CCI shells (I have both LR and WMR) in my Ruger Single Six and it has always worked flawlessly on the rattlers on my place in the Panhandle. Never needed more than one shot, but the always got at least a 2nd shot just for good measure.

Shots have always been outside of what I would consider striking distance. And I'm talking about some hawg leg Western Diamondbacks.

I really don't get the "You'll only make them mad," comments.
This has been my experience too. I've shot several rattlesnakes with the CCI stuff and it works just fine. If you have access to a .22 mag, it works at a greater distance.
berettadave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #20
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Ruger single six with chi 22 rat shot has done the job for me. May take a few rounds to get it done
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post

they do make rat shot for the 40 also,, but I prefer a charter arms bulldog with 44 rat shot,, it will ruin any snakes day within reasonable range,,,
rat shot is also made for the 45 acp and colt and 9mm
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #22
JP135
Ten Point

The longer the barrel, the tighter the group with rat shot.

I've got an old Winchester .22 single shot rifle and I can kill snakes with a single shot from a decent distance (10-12 yards). One shot from the rifle generally does the trick.

With a pistol, it seems like the pattern spreads too much to be effective at anything beyond 4-5 yards.

X2 on the Ruger Single Six. I load mine with .22 magnum rat shot in it. Much better results than .22 LR
JP135 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
pafdrn
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

I have some rat shot for my 9mm. have killed a cottonmouth with 1 shot, though he did wiggle for a few minutes... when I was in south texas with it I blasted a cottontail rabbit at about 6-7 yards and it plowed him, but I haven't got to use it on a rattlebug yet... it cycles fine thru my semiauto just fine... pattern in the pond at 10-15 feet is the size of a 5-gallon bucket lid.
pafdrn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Sir,

Any shot is better than none shot. I stopped carrying the shot with plastic capsuls years back because the capsules seemed to start working loose from being carried so much. Sometimes this would jam my revolver for two different reasons. I use the .40 cal shotshells now because they are different. Don't overlook an el-cheapo 410 revolver with some #8 AA shells.

Some of these snakes can get pretty big.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #25
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Get a Taurus Judge and put some .410 bird shot in it.
This sounds like the best solution to your problem. You can shoot 45LC in it also.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #26
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I have both a single six in .22 and in .357 mag. Shot snakes with both you just have to be a little closer with the .22. Academy has a Heritage single six in .22LR for $159.99. Like has been said the snake shot doesn't cycle in semi autos.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #27
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
22 shot doesn't have enough pellets unless you get within striking distance...go 38 or bigger for any real effect.

Best thing about the #12 shot is that it does not mess up the skin if you want to save it...the larger rounds are effective at safe ranges. 44 special & 45acp being the best.
I had a .22 Mag revolver and after one or two experiences with it, I bought a .357 mag and used the shot rounds in it with the results I wanted.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
kry226
Ten Point

It was impossible for this rattlebug to strike me. One shot and he was parked, from probably better than three yards. .22 LR CCI from the Single Six.

kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #29
KG68
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills county

I've carried a 22 revolver with LR snake shot for years and it has never failed me. Occasionally if I rush it I might need a second shot to stop the wiggling. I kill from 10 to 15 rattlers most years.
KG68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #30
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
I had a .22 Mag revolver and after one or two experiences with it, I bought a .357 mag and used the shot rounds in it with the results I wanted.
Yup...38 & larger is going to be more reliable. All one has to do to check their pattern is shoot 2 or 3 shots at a prickly pear cactus or piece of paper to get an idea of the pattern.

This guy is getting mounted, shot with 38 shot out of a 4" Python...I only keep the first shot with shot & prefer a round that a rimfire when I'm out in the sticks.
Attached Images

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #31
jmw
Six Point

Where can you buy the snake shot in .40? Unless I missed it, Cabelas, Academy, etc don't sell them. I have no reloading equipment, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself either.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #32
jmw
Six Point

On second thought, I'm just going to trade my bow for a .357 or Judge. Will post it in classifieds tomorrow morning after I get off graveyards tonight if anyone is interested.