No announcement yet.

Austin homeless problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was never a problem in Austin until the liberals decided it was a problem and started throwing money at it. Then it became a problem. The more money thrown at it, the bigger the problem became. So, you see, RR1 did have the solution to the problem. Do nothing for or against them and the problem will go away.

Comment

I know a lot of young people who work but not making enough to afford a home. Many of them pool their money and get an apartment or rent a house. Sleep four or five people in a two bedroom apartment to afford it.
      There are very valid issues to address to positively affect the homeless situation and some of it starts with a real assessment of our economy.
      While some things are good the reality is their is less opportunity for young people to succeed than when I was starting out.
      I realize there are many people homeless as a choice or due to their own actions or lack there of.
      But just labeling all of them crazy, addicts and lazy is ignorant and bigoted.
      Giving money on a street corner is not an answer. But saying "screw em" shouldn't be an option.

Gary
      Last edited by DRT; 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        ^^^ And this is how we turn an otherwise solvable problem into an 'industry' that can only be 'addressed' (those on the left will claim) by creating an endless government bureaucracy which will only succeed in making the problem worse and infinitely more expensive. Because, of course, if they solve the problem, they have to find a new job.

Put the legitimately crazy back in the state hospitals, put the druggies back in jail, and kick the lazy ones into the shelters. If they refuse to go, then jail. Yes, it will be costly, but homeless encampments are a cancer on a civilization. Has to be stopped before it overtakes entire cities.

Well there is something to be said for prison farms. And they pay their own way with a little left over to benefit society instead of milking the system.

Comment

I have to work in Austin. Since we moved here in 2007 it has gotten so much worse. The liberal city council and mayor are destroying this city.
          Evidently there is a big push now to have them thrown out of office over this.

Comment

Why don't small towns and cities have a homeless problem? I go through a lot of them in my travels and never see a panhandler in a small town. Can't say I've seen one in some fairly large towns either.
            Only in the big cities. Houston, Austin, etc.

Comment

A good solution to the “homeless” problem in Austin is to just give them all a one way bus ticket to Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                A good solution to the “homeless” problem in Austin is to just give them all a one way bus ticket to Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Along with the city council.....but, Austin is so full if idiots they would vote in another one exactly the same and it would all just start over from the beginning

Comment

My brother lives in Austin and we have had this conversation a lot over the years.
                  Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  The liberal policies only brought this into the light. The homeless people were already here. Every major metropolitan area in the country has huge problems. It personally breaks my heart that we as a country can't do more considering that the biggest problem is mental health and addiction. How many of these folks are veterans? A bunch. Liberal policies did not create this problem. Bad policies across the board created this problem and I have no idea how to fix it.
                  Yep, mental illness and addiction lead the way. They are the hardest to get into a program as they are determined not to follow the rules. Yes, veterans do fall between the cracks at a high rate. Between my time with the Star of Hope, Camp Hope and training thru pharma companies it is incredibly tough. nut to crack.
                  Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                  So you do not have a solution even though you stated someone would be stupid not to see a solution. Gotcha!
                  Don't tell me what I think because you have absolutely no idea.
                  I do see it as a problem because I have to look at these ugly camps on roadside and I do have to pay for their ER visits etc. and so do you. We pay for the medical services to treat their overdoses so don't act like you are so high and mightily removed from the situation.
                  Cha-ching it definitely affects all of us...........upstream & downstream! A multi pronged approach is the ONLY way to get this systemic problem under control. TBHers on this thread saying it is a way to expand giveaways tend to have some validity. Just the idea of labeling opioid abuse as a disease tells me all I need to know about the mess we find ourselves in. Odd how certain ailments to our society suddenly become "fundable!"
                  Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                  Yes, I have seen numerous Hispanic homeless folks. Not as many as whites though.
                  Yep, not sure why it is a question on race........it is a HUGE problem in all major cities.
                  Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I realize there are many people homeless as a choice or due to their own actions or lack there of.
                  But just labeling all of them crazy, addicts and lazy is ignorant and bigoted.
                  Giving money on a street corner is not an answer. But saying "screw em" shouldn't be an option.

Gary
                  Pretty much sir, pretty much!
                  Originally posted by Conway View Post
                  Evidently there is a big push now to have them thrown out of office over this.
                  My brother was telling me that it is definitely becoming a hot potato......which is good!

Comment

Austin homeless problem

Landrover2020.

I’d put that bumper sticker on my truck.

Comment

Education (or lack thereof) is the answer...but liberal policies have all but ruined the ISD system in Texas.

In a land if immense opportunity, even lazy (rebellious) people will struggle.

Stop funding their rebellion, those with real problems will become easier identify-able as the numbers drop, then you could help in a way is impactful.

Providing safe means for abuse is only something we deal with in 1st world problems...your unhealthy choices in life should have a negligible impact...currently they are major.

Comment

why not call it mental health problems caused by drugs problems. If they wouldn't have fried their brains on drugs they wouldn't be homeless and maybe could work and have a job. They are homeless because that's a decision they made. why is it our responsibility to take care of them if they are unwilling to help themselves. I'll help anyone that is in a bind and going to hard times to get back on their feet but if they are not willing to help themselves and continue the same choices shame on them. Just my opinion.

Comment

There is so much money & time being wasted on these individuals.
                          The 1st thing that needs to happen is an assessment-interview with each one of them, on video, to see what their story is. Where did they come from? Why they are here? Where is your family? What previous jobs have you had? What would it take to get you back on your feet ? Etc. Etc.
                          They are all different, let's figure it out.
                          Let's get them where they need to be. Prison, jail, rehab, home, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            If this has already been posted sorry. I did a search but couldn’t find anything.
                            Sad sad deal for Austin citizens have to deal with this problem.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cali...n-rep-chip-roy

Its called social engineering, forcing TX to deal with Calif's homeless. LWL's planned attack to make TX a Blue State.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                              Its called social engineering, forcing TX to deal with Calif's homeless. LWL's planned attack to make TX a Blue State.
                              You do have to wonder how are they getting from Cali to Texas? Sorta like how are Central Americans migrating through mexico unassisted.

But if they really wanted that plan to work, they wouldn’t be arriving in Austin, it’s already weird and they are **** proud of it. No id they wanted to turn Texas Blue they would ship them to Lubbock, Amarillo, Texarkana, Abilene, Wichita Falls etc.... semi decent population center that vote red.

Comment

The cities you named do not have a homeless open door policy like Austin. The social engineering is creating the homeless friendly environment, build it and they will come.

Comment

Working...
                                X